Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterstone sources

Waterstone sources

I've been planing to change up my sharpening set up (film and granite) and was all set to order Stu's special set but I have tried, unsuccessfully, three times to contact him and now I can't even find the special set on his site.
    Can anyone recommend other sources for these? I was particularly interested in the 'hard' 1000 sigma power but no other vendor that I've seen offers it.
    I know contacting Stu has been discussed in the past but I just want to buy some waterstones!
    Thanks!

Lee Valley sells them.

Lee valley sells the power select II, not the regular sigma powers. But that is an option I'm considering, though it's much more expensive than Stu's 'special set'. Thanks for the suggestion Robert!

TfJ selection is hard to match, and prices aren't matched that I know of, but it does take a while to get something from there. The hard 1000 is my least favorite of the Sigma stones. I do remember the 13 availability has been up and down, but I expect it's because of the demand for such a great stone, and probably especially this close after Christmas. Sorry, no good suggestions. I keep something ordered from there most of the time, and it shows up when it shows up, but then I have stuff to work with.

Tom, do you just place the order and sit back? At this point I'd like to know if the 'special set' is still available. What's your favorite 1000 grit sigma? And to all: sorry to drag this horse out of the barn again!

Who is Stu and what are you all talking about? I need to get into waterstones (or at least away from scary sharp).

Blog Entries
    So has them on his website (Japan-tool). When I buy through the cart I usually get items very fast....so long as USPS behaves.

Sole proprietors are going to be pretty swamped with emails right now, since probably most of them took a holiday.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Lee valley sells the power select II, not the regular sigma powers. But that is an option I'm considering, though it's much more expensive than Stu's 'special set'. Thanks for the suggestion Robert!
    I wouldn't get the Select IIs unless you're planning on sharpening a lot of exotic steels (HSS, CPM-10V, etc). I have a complete set of S-!!s and they release abrasive very quickly. That's good if the abrasive is also getting dulled very quickly as is the case with difficult steels, but if you use them on mundane tool steels you'll just be flushing perfectly good abrasive down the sink. You'll also find yourself flattening a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schatz View Post
    Who is Stu and what are you all talking about? I need to get into waterstones (or at least away from scary sharp).
    http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/wordpress/?page_id=2

https://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/

Be sure to set the currency from the drop down.

There have been supply problems with Sigma Power stones, which is probably why the "special set" is not currently available. If the supplier cannot keep up with your regularly priced demand, then you will likely not offer a discounted special set (but I have no idea if that is why you do not see one, I am just making stuff up).

I have been pondering purchasing some Sigma Power Select II stones, but I just never got around to it. Realistically, the non Select variety would probably serve me since I do not have much exotic steel, maybe one or two and a bunch of PM-V11.

Side note: These might be of interest

http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/wordpress/?p=713 (Waterstone testing Part I)
    http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/wordpress/?p=678 (and part II).

Yes, I just place an order, and it comes when it comes. The hard 1,000 is okay, but I'm mostly a feel sharpener, and it doesn't have much feel to me. It cuts plenty fast enough, but I like to be able to feel when a stone is done, and not have to keep checking. It's currently the only 1,000 stone I have. I like the 400 a lot. I have some others on an order or two, but I'm not worried about them, and I don't get in a hurry to do anything anyway.

I use almost nothing but 01, and my 13k is a Select II. It cuts so fast, and finishes so quickly, that there is no worry about wasting the abrasive. I use the whole face, so it doesn't need flattening that often. Probably only takes ten strokes at most. I doubt I'll ever wear it out.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-13-2016 at 5:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I use almost nothing but 01, and my 13k is a Select II. It cuts so fast, and finishes so quickly, that there is no worry about wasting the abrasive. I use the whole face, so it doesn't need flattening that often. Probably only takes ten strokes at most. I doubt I'll ever wear it out.
    The 13k is actually a Sigma Power stone that was retroactively rebranded "Select II". Stu had a blog post about that a while ago, but I can't find it offhand. I agree that that stone works well across a wide range of steels. Polishing isn't as wear-intensive to begin with, since each layer of abrasive is much thinner.

EDIT: He said that in an SMC post, not on his blog. Here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/archive/.../t-178498.html
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 01-13-2016 at 7:25 PM.

Makes sense. I guess I don't have any experience with Select II stones then, so don't have an opinion on them. Love the Powers though.

So (Japan tool) is on my short list of potential vendors, I've been reading about the natural stones he sells, boy those look like double or triple hole to fall into!

I really appreciate the discussion, very helpful in directing my brain! Patrick, what you mentioned about the select II's being wasted on normal steels is the exact reason I was keen on the 'special set' from Stu. If it's not available I'll probably start with a course stone (probably a sigma power 1000) and a atoma 400 to flatten with. Tom, do you thing that sigma 400 would work well to establish the bevel on a Japanese chisel. From what I understand grinders are a no no with those!
    I still have plenty of fine diamond lapping film so I should try and force myself to at least use it up before getting a finishing stone. With the recent addition of some Japanese chisels I'll now be sharpening everything from vintage chisels and Stanley irons to A2 and PMV-11 irons.
    And Andrew, those waterstone testing links will be my bedtime reading....that is a lot of info!!

Stu got back from vacation on the 8th; the site didn't accept orders while he was gone, and I imagine he got a rush of orders from folks who'd been waiting to place orders--just like me. It's basically a one-man operation, so I've cut him a lot of slack when he hasn't replied to emails. After all, he does offer some otherwise unavailable stuff at great prices, and there are enough folks here who use them that you can tell how they perform. Search for sigma power to find tons of posts.

Here's a starter set that includes sigma power stones, an Iwood diamond stone, and some accessories: http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/...oducts_id=1668.