Thread: first bowl

first bowl

I had a thread called tenon removal,I'm going to continue it here..I asked for info on tenon removal.So here is a pic of my first jam chuck and first bowl on my first chuck.The wood is redwood and was easy to work with for a first timer..Also throwing in a pic of my turning shelf,it has some of what I've been turning before owning the new chuck.jam chuck 1.JPGjam chuck 3.JPGturning shelf.JPGjam chuck 2.JPG

Not sure how the pics got so all over the place.Hope it's still readable for you.

Nice clean work and smooth finish. I disagree about redwood being good for a beginner, soft woods are generally more difficult to cut cleanly. If you can get good results with redwood, you should not have trouble turning any wood although the harder woods are more likely to have issues with cracking after turning.

Richard - You're going to need more shelves! Nice work.

Richard - Good job with the force fit jam chuck. I encourage you to look at a loose fit jam chuck using a soft pad and your live center to remove all but a small nub that you remove with chisel or saw and sand. the loose fit jam works with large bowls and irregular edge bowls. Looks like you are well into the vortex.

Thanks for the replies..Thomas,it was my first attempt at a homemade chuck..I'll be experimenting with more styles..Thank you.

Nice collection. Looks like each piece is unique and one of a kind.

Thank you Thomas Heck.I don't use a pattern and try to do everyone different.Some have turquoise inlays,some I used glitter in.They're a great way to relax..and make a few dollars on the side.