Thread: Tool Holder - Small Squares

Blog Entries

Tool Holder - Small Squares

I needed to rearrange the plane till a bit so these small squares had to move to another area. They are on a swinging door so I used some magnets and diagonal slots to keeps thing in their place. It will get some finish and then the magnets will get glued in but, it will turn out something like so:

Tool Holder Small Squares (5).jpg . Tool Holder Small Squares (6).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Great idea Glenn. The only addition I would make to that is to nail one small brass escutcheon pins into the top just in front of each square to stop them accidentally falling out. You would then need to life the square up by whatever length of pin is showing. I would place these pins on the left side of the square giving you more wood to install them in.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Good idea. I'll make on this weekend.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I like it - reminds me of something I should do this weekend but I'll be watching the Vikings... wait...this just in - I've now been told that the Vikings lost last weekend looks like I do have some time on my hands.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Great idea Glenn. The only addition I would make to that is to nail one small brass escutcheon pins into the top just in front of each square to stop them accidentally falling out. You would then need to life the square up by whatever length of pin is showing. I would place these pins on the left side of the square giving you more wood to install them in.
    Thanks Hilton. The magnets keep them from falling out. I tried a flat 1/4" disc in a cup but, the grip was too much. I happened to have some 1/4" rods from some sample pack I bought years ago. The little 1/4" round by 1/4" long buggers have a good grip but, don't pull the door open as I remove the square ;-).
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-15-2016 at 9:51 AM.

– Samuel Butler

I really like this.... I have been pondering how to best arrange these so that I can access them yet they are using less space. Very nice.

I like it, simple and effective.

What are the brass dogs in your bench? Some kind of pop up?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I like it, simple and effective.

What are the brass dogs in your bench? Some kind of pop up?
    Those are Lee Valley's Prairie Dogs which do pop up. I had pondered making my own with a push-to-open door latch but, never did find one that was the form factor I was after. Christmas ended my search and although they seem gimmicky, they are actually quite useful on my twin screw.

– Samuel Butler