Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange question re: Oscillating Spindle Sander

Question Strange question re: Oscillating Spindle Sander

I have this oscillating spindle sander and it's great:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

It is branded as a "WEN", although through research before the purchase, it became clear that this spindle sander is essentially simply a re-branded version of the same foreign-built sander that is offered under many names, including ShopFox, Grizzly, Triton, Rockwell, and others.

Last week, I spun the nut off the top of the spindle bolt and as I did so, it slipped right off and bounced into a tiny crevice between a massive old shop bench and the wall. Suffice it to say, the nut will not be retrieved any time before I move out of the house.

I don't intend to lug the sander to the hardware store to match it up with a new nut, but I need to know the size of the nut or the spindle bolt so I can purchase a replacement nut. I'm away from the shop today and I'm hoping to stop at a hardware store later to grab the replacement.

Any chance anyone knows the size of this bolt or nut? I greatly appreciate any assistance that is offered!

I have a similar sander, branded Craftex (Busy Bee in Canada). The nut on mine is M8 - 1.25 Left hand thread.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Michaels View Post
    ...I spun the nut off the top of the spindle bolt and as I did so, it slipped right off and bounced into a tiny crevice between a massive old shop bench and the wall.
    It never ceases to amaze me how often those little things that you drop end up finding their way into the hardest to reach places.

I suggest a magnet to retrieve it. Ought be doable. If a nut can fall into this spot, surely a magnet of similar size on a string can as well! I suggest a rare earth one.

Hmmmm, I wonder if the magnet or nut would cost more and how quickly to find either the nut or magnet. Good Luck either way.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how often those little things that you drop end up finding their way into the hardest to reach places.
    Murphy's law.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    .....and if it is something like your car sitting in the middle of the garage..it will find the exact center of the car........

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Murphy's law.
    Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I suggest a magnet to retrieve it. Ought be doable. If a nut can fall into this spot, surely a magnet of similar size on a string can as well! I suggest a rare earth one.

Hmmmm, I wonder if the magnet or nut would cost more and how quickly to find either the nut or magnet. Good Luck either way.
    I agree Chris. I'd try a magnet first.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

If you can't get a magnet close enough, attach a piece of cheese cloth over the end of you shop vac nozzle and see it you can suck it up.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    I have a similar sander, branded Craftex (Busy Bee in Canada). The nut on mine is M8 - 1.25 Left hand thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Michaels View Post
    I'm hoping to stop at a hardware store later to grab the replacement.
    I hope it is a big hardware store, that sounds like it will be pretty hard to find.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 01-15-2016 at 1:29 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Every shop should have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Magneti...scoping+magnet
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    Fantastic - thank you.

Thank you all for the input - I appreciate it. Believe it or not, an Ace Hardware a few blocks from my office tells me on the phone that they do indeed have this nut - with the left hand thread - on the shelf for all of $.023

As much as I'd love to go digging behind the workbench, I'm more accepting of parting with a short walk and $0.23 versus the time (and likely frustration) it would take to fish this out, so off to Ace I go.

Thanks again - I really appreciate all the input.

Jay,

I'm not surprised. I bought a cheap grinder from Woodcraft. It had a balance issue that turned out be due to the hole in a nut (holding one of the grinding wheels on the arbor) wasn't perpendicular to the surface of the nut. Thus when you tightened the nut, there was about 30-40% of the surface of the nut not making contact with the grinding wheel. It allowed the wheel to wobble and it made it out of balance. My local ACE hardware had a left-handed nut for the arbor shaft. The Woodcraft store where I bought it is 110 miles away. I really didn't want to return it!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-15-2016 at 2:35 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Just closed the deal at a local ACE for a grand total of under $1. Money well spent.

Kudos to ACE Hardware!! Glad you got things fixed quickly AND cheaply!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Welllll........does the nut fit? Inquiring minds want to know

When I get home, I'll tell you!