Thread: Shop Stool Problems

Shop Stool Problems

I have two of the Rockler wooden shop stools and that have a swivel seat and three legs. They are ok stools, but they have an annoying habit of wanting to not slide. No I know that no one wants a slippery stool, but I am talking about the times I just want to nudge it with my leg and have it slide to the side when my hands are full of other things. It wants to readily tip and the leg just sticks in the one spot to the cement floor. I believe the metal tabs (smooth) on the bottom of the legs is nickel or something similar. There is nothing on the leg taps that is sticky. I am always picking these stools up off the floor. Can't readily think of anything I could do that would not make them generally unsafe. Any thoughts out there?

Nylon (Glide or Slipstick) feet...for the stool, not the shop worker I think you can get them in self stick, screw on, or possibly even nail on.

Just that old scratched office stuff is cheap. I've got a swivel chair that is not bulky,has adjustable height,and excellent rollers. One push off with foot and I'm half way accross the garage.

Old wheeled drafting board stools seem to be in all of the resale places around here. Pneumatic height adjustable, a ring around the base to lock your heels into, and usually 5 legs to minimize the chances of tipping over, with wheels, a padded back and soft cushion, and a price tag of less than $50. I've been seriously considering getting one for my shop. Drafting is done on a computer while sitting at a desk now, so drafting boards and stools are obsolete for their original purpose.

Charley