Thread: email updates on forum activity

email updates on forum activity

I don't go to the forum daily, I take advantage of the option to have new or updated response sent to me via email. While that is very nice and I use it every morning I get tired of have to log in again with each item to see the pictures. Is there a way of logging in just once and go through all of the email updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Emmerling View Post
    I don't go to the forum daily, I take advantage of the option to have new or updated response sent to me via email. While that is very nice and I use it every morning I get tired of have to log in again with each item to see the pictures. Is there a way of logging in just once and go through all of the email updates?
    Don, if you log in and click on the "What's New" icon in the top row (upper left) of the Home Page, you will get only the posts since you last visited. Not sure if this is what you are looking for though.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I have a similar issue with my login timing out. I don't mind logging in when I first visit the Creek, but there seems to be a very short activity window after which I am automatically logged out.

I typically will click the new posts link and open any interesting threads in new tabs. As I read each thread, I close it's tab. Unfortunately, as I move through the threads later tabs get logged out and if I click on a picture, the page turns grey and I get a message telling me I need to log in. It's certainly not a deal-breaker - but it is kind of a pain to have to log back in to each tab if I want to view the pictures. It would be nice if the login were persistent or at least subject to a longer time-out duration.

I don't understand these observations. Every time I open the SMC website, I am logged in automatically. It is a feature of the operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Don, if you log in and click on the "What's New" icon in the top row (upper left) of the Home Page, you will get only the posts since you last visited. Not sure if this is what you are looking for though.
    What i am talking about is the email I get every morning from SMC that tells me what new posts have been made in the previous 24 hours (I think). The email lists every new entry or a list of the updated ones. When you click on a topic you have to log in (within the email) to see the pictures. You close out that topic, cursor down and click on the next new topic, but you have to log in all over again to see the pictures in that next topic. This gets somewhat tiresome. Is there a way to log in once in the email and then see all subsequent pictures?
    Hope this helps.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I don't understand these observations. Every time I open the SMC website, I am logged in automatically. It is a feature of the operating system.
    It's a feature of the browser. If you visit SMC and you are not logged in, there will be a "remember me" checkbox next to the username and password boxes at the top of the screen. Make sure that is clicked when logging in, and your browser will remember your session for some period of time.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Please reread my posting. I am not going to the SMC site, I am reading the posts via email. You can turn on the feature while at SMC that sends you and email of all the new posts in a forum as well as updates from the previous day. My problem is that while in email I have to log in to each email item to see the pictures. There may be 10 items emailed to me and if they all have pictures I want to see I have to log in 10 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Emmerling View Post
    Please reread my posting. I am not going to the SMC site, I am reading the posts via email. You can turn on the feature while at SMC that sends you and email of all the new posts in a forum as well as updates from the previous day. My problem is that while in email I have to log in to each email item to see the pictures. There may be 10 items emailed to me and if they all have pictures I want to see I have to log in 10 times.
    When you go to view a picture, does it launch SMC in your browser? If so, then you just need to have that browser remember your login by going to SMC separately and log in with that "remember me" button checked. If the pictures are not shown in the browser via SMC, how are they shown?
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I get the same email each morning and YES when you click on a new post it takes you to SMC website so you have to log in . Like others have said clic the remember me box and your logged in automatically each time you visit the site.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I get the same email each morning and YES when you click on a new post it takes you to SMC website so you have to log in . Like others have said clic the remember me box and your logged in automatically each time you visit the site.
    Also make sure your browser is set to accept cookies from SMC. The cookie is what gets you back in without signing in. Some malware programs also will remove cookies when they do a scan. Some will let you make an exception for certain sites, others will not.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute