Thread: My First NIP

My First NIP

No, it is not my first nip of home brew--but my first NIP of the other kind. It is 12 1/8"W x 5"H. I tried a method of using a shop vac to create a vacuum to pull the oil thru the piece. This was from an article that was in American Woodturner (Dec 2012). Unfortunately, I was not able to create the translucence that everyone wants in a NIP turning. I realized that I need to make the walls thinner on the next one I do to get the desired translucence. I will need to shine a light on the backside of the bowl as I hollow it out to get the right thickness. It was a very interesting wood to turn. A lot of moisture and had to keep the tools really sharp to minimize the tear-out. Overall, I do like the way the piece looks even if it isn't translucent. C&C welcome.
    WT1405.jpg WT1405-2.jpg

That is a striking bowl and well worth having. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

Looks wonderful. I've wanted to turn some NIP, but I'm still balancing my techniques between blowing things up on the vacuum chuck and wall thickness. Looks like you are well on your way to some great pieces. That figure and pattern doesn't need translucency IMHO to be admired.
    Dick Mahany.

Sri 4 my ignorance bt I dt know wat NIP stands 4.

Could you please let me know what NIP is?

By the way your piece looks very nice.

NIP--Norfork Island Pine--except it really not pine.

Beautiful ! I like the way the bottom has enough distinction from the side to be the "sun". I think the trees are mainly found in New Zealand. They can be house plants here for years before running out of space.

thanks Steve for the info. Sometimes the abbreviations are a challenge for me.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the comments.