Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Pulls Support on Windows 8

Microsoft Pulls Support on Windows 8

Microsoft Pulls Support on Windows 8

http://www.switchfast.com/switchfast...windows-8.aspx
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Windows 8, but not Windows 8.1, which is a free upgrade and will still be supported for many years.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    Windows 8, but not Windows 8.1, which is a free upgrade and will still be supported for many years.
    Two more years, January 9th, 2018.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Mainstream support for Windows 8.1 ends in 2018. Extended support doesn't end until 2023. Mainstream support means that Microsoft will fix bugs and add new features along with security patches. Extended support is generally security patches only.

It seems crazy that Microsoft ended all Windows 8 support already since manufacturers are allowed to sell new PCs with Windows 8 pre-installed until June of this year. (I can't imagine any manufacturer still shipping Windows 8 PCs at this point.)

Blog Entries
    It seems crazy that Microsoft ended all Windows 8 support already since manufacturers are allowed to sell new PCs with Windows 8 pre-installed until June of this year. (I can't imagine any manufacturer still shipping Windows 8 PCs at this point.)
    In some organizations there are either technophobes or others who have no idea of the breakneck speed of technological advances. I have been employed even by technology companies who had engineers who didn't understand what we were building.

One of the insane clauses I have seen in procurement specifications is that any technology or software must have been in use and reliable no less than 5 years.

So when you go into some tech dependent facility and see them running old machines or old operating systems, someone in purchasing likely made such a specification in a purchase agreement.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

But there are also companies that really prefer O.S.s in extended support. No new 'upgrades' or 'enhancements' to break perfectly functioning systems.

I'm running 7 on my Windoze machines, and that's the OS you will see most commonly at all the "high tech" companies around here. I didn't detect any improvement from XP when we made the switch. The newer OS's seem to be optimized for poking at with your fingers and seamlessly running cat videos while keeping up with twitter, instagram, etc. The newer interfaces seem designed to appeal to the ADHD set, I haven't seen an improvement in actual function in a long, long time. Why back in my day... grump grump grump.......

I never understood why Microsoft wants to dumb down the user interface and software selection (apps instead of programs) to the point it works like a smart phone. I guess it is just Google envy. If they try to compete on Google's territory, they will lose.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    .....I haven't seen an improvement in actual function in a long, long time. Why back in my day... grump grump grump.......
    So Roger, what would it take for you to consider something an "improvement"? What and when was the last one? Just wondering.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I never understood why Microsoft wants to dumb down the user interface and software selection (apps instead of programs) to the point it works like a smart phone. I guess it is just Google envy. If they try to compete on Google's territory, they will lose.
    In my mind, this is what the younger set understands and considers the way things should work. Personally, I don't like it, but I do understand why they are moving in that direction.
    Personally I prefer to print out emails I get that are requests for me to do something here at work. The younger folks think I am weird.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    So Roger, what would it take for you to consider something an "improvement"? What and when was the last one? Just wondering.
    Good question. Probably the spotlight search on the Mac that allows me to instantly find documents no matter where I've mis-filed them based on either file names or content (last time I tried this on a Win 8.1 PC it took many minutes just to search file names). This has freed me from the tyranny of the hierarchical file system, for better or worse. I'm also very enamored of the "hot corner" that pops open mini versions of all the documents I have open at any given time, giving me a quick way to switch between tasks.

I think MS Word (the program I use the most) actually peaked at version 3.1 back in 1987 -- it did everything I ever wanted to do while writing (adding niceties like subscripts and automated bullet points, as I recall) and very little extra. A very clean, uncluttered, functional program that never required going through tabs and sub-menus to get a common task done.

A huge improvement in Windows, yet to be implemented, would be if it would stop popping windows it deemed to be important up in front of the task I'm actively working on. It is constantly frustrating to be typing along and then find that Windows has opened some dialog box about an update or some such thing it thinks is important and the last three sentences you wrote are gone. How hard could it be to prioritize the window that the user is actively working in? Or at the very least not lose the work done in the meantime?

Because that's what the majority of computer users want. They want something that just works, that they never have to look at or think about, that will let them be as shallow as they want seamlessly. That's what Microsoft's customers want, that's what they're trying to give them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    In my mind, this is what the younger set understands and considers the way things should work. Personally, I don't like it, but I do understand why they are moving in that direction.
    Personally I prefer to print out emails I get that are requests for me to do something here at work. The younger folks think I am weird.
    Old Guys Unite! Starting my career when a "computer" system took up about 5000 square feet (including room for 'tape apes' and 'paper runners') I have lived through a few "quality drops" when it comes to hardware and software. Most of that 5000 square feet now fits on your desk and the software development curve/ QA is similarly different.

Yes, it troubles me that I swear more at sloppy bloated applications than I ever did at L.A. freeway drivers. Hardware is nearly disposable the day it comes off the line and programmers have lost their edge in what seems to be a "why bother" culture. I long for the days when an application ran reliably, failed elegantly and was repaired in a somewhat reasonable time . . . of course time heals all wounds . . . let's not forget those pesky PDP-11's . . . IBM and Amdahl (we lost Gene just this last November) never looked so good. There is no changing the fact that our parents hated Rock-n-Roll and we hate computers that look and act like big phones
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Old Guys Unite! Starting my career when a "computer" system took up about 5000 square feet (including room for 'tape apes' and 'paper runners') I have lived through a few "quality drops" when it comes to hardware and software. Most of that 5000 square feet now fits on your desk and the software development curve/ QA is similarly different.

Yes, it troubles me that I swear more at sloppy bloated applications than I ever did at L.A. freeway drivers. Hardware is nearly disposable the day it comes off the line and programmers have lost their edge in what seems to be a "why bother" culture. I long for the days when an application ran reliably, failed elegantly and was repaired in a somewhat reasonable time . . . of course time heals all wounds . . . let's not forget those pesky PDP-11's . . . IBM and Amdahl (we lost Gene just this last November) never looked so good. There is no changing the fact that our parents hated Rock-n-Roll and we hate computers that look and act like big phones
    I'm with you brother! I too have programmed every single one of the computers you mentioned and then some! My first job in about 1975 was on a IBM 360. We wrote all our programs on coding pads, gave them to the keypunch department. Any changes or corrections we made ourselves on an IBM 026 then later 029 keypunch machine. We kept printout of all the programs in a file cabinet room. Hmm, I think we may have it a bit better these days.
    I used to be able to do hexadecimal math in my head too. But no more.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 01-18-2016 at 1:34 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Glenn...of course when I started.... Dec RKO-05s were the current largest hard drives and weighed over 200lbs. The RK-05 stored a huge whopping 5 MB on a removable 10" platter. At chest height, it was impossible to change a HD by yourself. Annually we replaced the batteries to retract the heads in case of a power failure. We replaced the heads in the event of a head crash and used an alignment disk to align the heads. With two on board, we stored operating software on one and image data on the other. Memory boards were 19" x 22" and stored a whopping 4K.

They have come a long ways baby!

BTW....we used Dec PDP-1134's!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-18-2016 at 1:37 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....