Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hospital billing - Ugh!

Hospital billing - Ugh!

Why can't hospitals just send you one bill for an ER visit? I had to visit the ER in the middle of the night for a very high fever and had a bunch of tests done. (Diagnosed with pneumonia.) Now I have bills for the doctor, the radiologist, and the hospital itself. I'm not sure if I will get a separate bill for the Xray. Why can't the hospital just send me one bill for the entire visit? They can pay the doctors and radiologist from the money I pay them.

I can't believe the ER doctor billed $850 for probably 20 minutes worth of work. He probably was with me for five to ten minutes, and I doubt he spent more than 10 or 15 minutes looking at Xrays and test results.

I do have insurance, but I still have to pay 20% myself.

Don't get me started.....

IMHO, we are no longer human beings. We are nothing more than cash crops that the health care industry cultivates and harvests.

Every single thing about it is geared towards one end - making the whole process more streamlined for their benefit.

Edit to add- - -Oh man, this is just great timing! This just showed up on my Facebook:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 01-17-2016 at 12:03 PM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Brian,

Those bills can be negotiated. Look at the doctor's bill closely and see what he charged. If you call they must provide an itemized bill. If he charged for anything he didn't do, have that removed. You can also negotiate the remaining balance. Trust me, your insurance isn't paying 80% of face value.

I'm not contesting the amount of the bill. I just think the hospital should send me one bill instead of separate bills for the doctor, radiologist, hospital, and so on. It would be a lot easier to keep track of.

That's if those are bills at all.

Every time I go to the doctor's, I get a bill-like thing in the mail that lists the charges, then says "This is not a bill". That's followed a week or two or three by something with completely different numbers on it that says the insurance company will pay 80% of some figure that's nothing at all like anything I've seen.
    That thing also says I haven't met some kind of deductible and I have to pay the whole thing.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Some doctors and facilities are also now charging "Facility Charges" which in some cases may no be covered by insurance. My wife received a shot for something and also received an additional charge for giving her the shot.

If they ever want to keep you for observation insist on being admitted. Some insurance, including Medicare I believe, will not pay the hospital charges if you are no admitted as an in-patient.

Life used to be so much simpler before every one became money focused.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 01-17-2016 at 1:45 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

At a minimum, it would be nice to have some sort of summary when you left as to who treated you. I went to the ER 2 years ago and people that I had never heard of sent me bills. I had no way of knowing if they were real or if I was being scammed, other than to contact each one and get the details. They send very vague bills saying you owe money. Several of them stopped trying when I asked them to provide detailed information on just what they did for me during the visit. They like to phish as well. They'll ask you questions like "What's your social?" and "What was the date of care". Well, if you're sending me a bill about it, then I suspect you should have that information. Verifying my identity and GIVING you my identity happen to look identical.

I got a bill for $1,000 from a doctor and they said he treated me. I never once saw the doctor, never heard the name, never had anyone tell me he was involved at all (and they never did provide a detailed account of what he did on my behalf).

I understand some doctors are behind the scenes and you might not see them reading a MRI, but at a minimum, I should walk out of there with a list of :

Treated by :

City Hospital
    Dr. Seuss
    Dr. Phil
    Dr. Feelgood
    Incredibly Clear MRI's Inc.
    etc....

Just my opinion. At the end of it all, I felt like I was being scammed by about 3 different people that contacted me because they couldn't provide any proof of treatment.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    That's if those are bills at all.

Every time I go to the doctor's, I get a bill-like thing in the mail that lists the charges, then says "This is not a bill". That's followed a week or two or three by something with completely different numbers on it that says the insurance company will pay 80% of some figure that's nothing at all like anything I've seen.
    That thing also says I haven't met some kind of deductible and I have to pay the whole thing.
    I get these things from the insurance company called Explanation of Benefits for every bill. It shows how much the provider billed, how much the insurer paid, and how much I have to pay. It also shows the discount the insurer took from the amount billed which the provider has to eat. No provider has ever tried to bill me for me than my portion, so far. I get them electronically instead of by my mail.

Did you review your summary of benefits from the insurance company? You need to pay special attention to the SOB's because it explains what claims are valid and for what amount of money. It's also explains what your responsibilities for payment keeping in check with your deductibles and your maximum out-of-pocket expenses. So you have to watch out for bogus or double billing that doesn't conform to the SOB. That happens a lot. You need to pay attention to the SOB like a hawk! And don't be afraid to confront or question the claims or bill if you sense a problem. You'd be surprised how some of those bills.... or even claims disappear with a simple dispute ...."Hey, what the heck is this?"

In some of these cases, the doctors are not actual employees of the hospital, they are actually paying to use the hospital facilities for their practices. Therefore, you are going to have to pay for the doctors separately because that is how they are billing the insurance.

Brian nailed it.

Often the lab that performs the lab tests is an independent business too. They just happen to be located in the hospital for expediency of performing the lab tests.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I get these things from the insurance company called Explanation of Benefits for every bill.
    I get those too...My biggest problem with them is that the numbers (charges) never jibe.
    I had one for $7 some thousand dollars for a sleep study.
    Nothing was said of what the insurance covered.
    I looked up online what the insurance allowed and it was something like $1200.
    The bill came and it was something like $5000 and it said the insurance would only pay $3000 something and I had to meet the deductible first.

Then a week after, other bills from other people and places started rolling in.
    In the end - - with my head swimming - I had to shell out a few hundred dollars from my pocket.
    I never once got and detailed explanation of what was done and who did what.

Since the final tab was some figure that was reasonable - a few hundred dollars IIRC, I just rolled my eyes an chalked it uNo provider has ever tried to bill me for me than my portion, so fa to life.

No provider has ever tried to bill me for me than my portion, so fa

Under our old insurance, things were confused, but, the bills seemed to get paid & we ended up not having to shell out a whole lot.

That all changed last December when my wife retired. The retirees are all covered under a different policy.
    Not only is it more expensive, it seems like every time we need something it's not covered.
    My wife had a prescription for some medication for her knee.
    The discounted price for a 1 ounce tube was $1700! My wife asked what our co -pay was and the girl said the insurance didn't cover that medication. The approved alternate was- - over the counter Aleve. The $1700 price was after getting a $1200 discount!

I went into the doctor last week. My legs got all swollen and started to ooze fluid. I had to get them wrapped last Thursday. No one can or will tell me how much this is going to cost. Every time they ask if I'm still taking other medications, I tell them the same thing - - I can't afford the stuff, so ,no, I'm not taking anything.
    Then I get a lecture about how i should always follow the doctors orders. (What part of "I can't afford it", is lost on these people?).

We'll have to see how unaffordable this latest wonder cure is....

Blog Entries
    Reading this makes me appreciate my medical provider that much more. It is a nonprofit HMO with most of the services in one place. At times some services are authorized through out of plan providers.

In the case of getting a bill from a doctor who had nothing to do with your treatment, I would wonder if it isn't outright fraud. It isn't a new trick to send a bill to a person or business "for services rendered" in the hope some sucker will just pay the bill and forget it.

Yes, when challenged they will claim a billing error. Maybe there should be a report to the state medical board or insurance commissioner.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I get those too...My biggest problem with them is that the numbers (charges) never jibe.
    I had one for $7 some thousand dollars for a sleep study.
    Nothing was said of what the insurance covered.
    I looked up online what the insurance allowed and it was something like $1200.
    The bill came and it was something like $5000 and it said the insurance would only pay $3000 something and I had to meet the deductible first.
    I had a sleep study last winter. The claim from the insurance company was easy to read. The clinic charged $1728 for the sleep study, the insurance discount was $605.31, and the amount I owed was $224.58 (20%).

I understand why the billing is how it is but I agree with Brian that's it's really confusing to get so many bills from all over. I had gallbladder and hernia surgery at the same time in September. I had an assortment of tests, cat scan, ultrasound, hida scan etc.., leading up to the surgery. The shear number of bills was ridiculous. Added to that is the ongoing nightmare of what Bill spoke about, incorrect billing. Every person involved with the whole ordeal billed the correct amount except the hospital. They billed over $40k more to the insurance company than their contracted amounts for those procedures. What has transpired is a totally ridiculous situation.

Some of the charges were reduced to the proper amount and some were denied all together. There were procedures that needed prior approval by the insurance company that the hospital did not get the proper authorization. The insurance company denied those charges which the hospital promptly billed to me which they cannot do per their contract. They refused to remove those erroneous charges even after repeated phone calls including conference calls between me, the insurance company and the hospital. They finally agreed to put those charges under review. By then I had threatening letters from the hospital saying they were going to turn me over to collections. Another conference call between all of us resulted in the hospital representative promising they would not do anything until the reviews were complete. They turned me over to collections the next day anyway. After many more calls I have the collections deal on hold...I hope. I made it clear from the very start that I'll pay the correct amount as soon as I'm billed the correct amount. I found out during this process that the hospital is already in a class action law suit because of improper billing practices. I've since filed a complaint with the Arkansas attorney general.
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 01-17-2016 at 7:24 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]