Thread: MDF or Cheap wood

MDF or Cheap wood

Still getting my feet wet here on the woodworking. I come from an architectural rendering and 3D modeling background. What are you guys using for building an initial design to see if it works well in the real world (as opposed to a 3D model)?

MDF or cheap wood?

Thanks!

I've used both, it depends on the project that you're working on. After a while though, you start to recognize what will work and what will not without having to build a prototype, it all comes from experience. I've done things out of construction-grade lumber or MDF or even pallet wood in the past though, just to see if it will work.

Blog Entries
    I just build it an hope for the best! Hasn't failed me yet. (Of course I only build book cases!)
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Lumber does not machine like real wood and it isn't nearly as strong. I am not sure how much "real world" information you would get from an MDF prototype. I build keepsake boxes out of premium wood species. I will sometimes build a prototype out of poplar first to verify the cutting and assembling processes as well as the shape. When I am done, I have a nice low cost poplar box to sell or give away and I can build many boxes using the same processes with confidence. An MDF prototype would tell me much less about the building technique and would be worthless when it is done. There may be some projects that would lend themselves to MDF prototypes but not what I do.

Thanks guys! The project I'm thinking about starting is an adjustable standing desk I designed a while back. I think poplar sounds like a good wood to start with on this project.

I've been making prototypes from leftover scraps of rigid foam insulation (unless, of course, sitting on it is part of the prototyping). I'm usually interested in the 3D full size appearance, not joinery details, so the parts just get butted together with hot glue or whatever else is quick. It's easy to break it apart to reshape parts.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I've been making prototypes from leftover scraps of rigid foam insulation (unless, of course, sitting on it is part of the prototyping). I'm usually interested in the 3D full size appearance, not joinery details, so the parts just get butted together with hot glue or whatever else is quick. It's easy to break it apart to reshape parts.
    That's a great idea as well!

I have sometimes used corrugated cardboard taped together to make prototypes to get a better sense of the 3D full size appearance.
    Last edited by Jay Aubuchon; 01-18-2016 at 8:34 PM. Reason: Fix typo.