Thread: Desk power outlet

Desk power outlet

Hey guys, new to the forum here.

I'm looking to put a power outlet into a desk I am building. It can be popup, or not popup, but I just need 2 outlets and everything seems so expensive. Does anyone know of something similar to this product that isn't $230 and just has 2 outlets that can be flush mount into a desk? I need one in white.

http://www.cableorganizer.com/p/ohm-...FVJufgodjJEEOw

Thanks for any info.

Some more ideas: LINK and LINK
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Lee Valley just had a couple of nice ones in their latest flier...and for a lot less money than $230. But some of the available product on the market is higher priced; sometime because it's more industrial in design and marketed to the business marketplace.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Here's one that is less than $250.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Here is one from Doug Mockett. They have many more to choose from.

Why a popup if it's something you need? Unless you only need it once in a while I guess.

If you are going to have something plugged in all the time (or often), why not get a standard outlet, make a nice mounting box for it, (angle it, make it flush, etc.) and attach it someplace where it's handy, but not in the way?

If I had a popup, the first thing I would do is cover it up with something, and then spend a bunch of time looking for it!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    Why a popup if it's something you need? Unless you only need it once in a while I guess.

If you are going to have something plugged in all the time (or often), why not get a standard outlet, make a nice mounting box for it, (angle it, make it flush, etc.) and attach it someplace where it's handy, but not in the way?

If I had a popup, the first thing I would do is cover it up with something, and then spend a bunch of time looking for it!
    It doesn't need to be a pop up at all, but I'm not an electrician and not sure how to make my own outlet safely. The premade ones are easy and you just plug them in which is great. If you have a link to how to make one yourself that would be great, but I need to make sure it doesn't start a fire with it being mounted into a wooden desk.

No value to add, but I just counted and I've got 11 items plugged in on my desktop. Was 12 but I moved the pencil sharpener across the room. Two sounds heavenly.

Pop-ups pop up because (in part) they are safer than a flat-mounted outlet. Spills tend to be much less of a 'life event' when the liquid can't immediately flow into an outlet that is also a horizontal hole.

Food (or drink) for thought...

K

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    No value to add, but I just counted and I've got 11 items plugged in on my desktop. Was 12 but I moved the pencil sharpener across the room. Two sounds heavenly.
    I can't even imagine two, I have seven and that doesn't count all of the things that are plugged into USB ports for charging.

It doesn't need to be a pop up at all, but I'm not an electrician and not sure how to make my own outlet safely. The premade ones are easy and you just plug them in which is great. If you have a link to how to make one yourself that would be great, but I need to make sure it doesn't start a fire with it being mounted into a wooden desk.

No plans, but I would look at mounting a standard junction box in a nice wood box of whatever shape suited you. Not much different than being in a wall. Bring the wire out and put a plug on it, and you're good to go.

Just a bit bulky if room is a problem.

Also have used a power bar on the side if there is room, or on a 45 deg block on the back edge of the desk top might work - would help with potential spills...

klw
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-21-2016 at 9:27 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Might I ask what you actually want to plug in on top of the desk?

if you can make things out of wood you are handy enough to wire a 110v outlet - it is far from difficult - being able to build and wire you own will be a lot better as to cost and flexibility and everything you need to do so is no further than your nearest big box store - home depot/lowes/ace etc

the products you are looking at are more for commercial use - if you wanted a fixed desktop outlet that was spill proof just elevate it with a wood spacer so it sits proud of the surface