Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Homestead 40x80x12

The video gives a nice view of the actual shop size. That is going to be a nice shop!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That's a great video. What kind of drone is that?

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    That's a great video. What kind of drone is that?
    Autel Robotics XStar Premium

Thanks!
    Jeff

The builder told me today that they expect to get back on my building next Tuesday 8-1-17. I'm hopeful that they do and that they stay on it until it's done. I'll have more updates next week when they start back up. I'm hoping to get out to my land every day for an update on the build.

Thanks
    Jeff

Laying a couple large sheets of plastic over the slab after you wet it will help keep that moisture in so the concrete cures better/harder/crack and stress free.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 07-28-2017 at 12:10 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Laying a couple large sheets of plastic over the slab after you wet it will help keep that moisture in so the concrete cures better/harder/crack and stress free.
    That's a great idea Chris, Thanks!
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 07-28-2017 at 12:09 PM.
    Jeff

Material Delivery

The rest of the materials were delivered to the jobsite Monday. I watched a Semi navigate the 24 ft opening between the gates to the property. The driver and his helper were the nicest guys you’d want to meet. They unloaded everything quickly and with care, although the trusses were a heavy load and challenged the Donkey forklift to its limit. We are ready to resume the build August 1st.

image2.jpgimage1.jpg

Jeff

Headers and Girts

We arrived at the jobsite Tuesday to find a light rain falling, but the crew was at work installing the headers and girts (horizontal framing members) to the shop. We walked around the building and talked to the crew members briefly and I brought up the fact that some of the framing lumber was significantly warped. I spoke with the foreman about this and he said he had a solution to prevent any wavy walls. They said they would be putting up trusses Wednesday and had to rent a boom lift in the morning.

When we got home, I emailed the sales manager my concerns with the lumber being used and she notified the building manager who replied that he would “fix” any members that were bad. I’m really a stickler for seeing construction done right and I’m sure I’m a PIA to the crew by checking in so often, but this is part of my life savings and I’m going to see it done right.

No drone video today. It doesn’t fly well in the rain

IMG_1026.jpgIMG_1021.jpgIMG_1023.jpgIMG_1024.jpgIMG_1025.jpg
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferey Scott View Post
    I知 sure I知 a PIA to the crew by checking in so often, but this is part of my life savings and I知 going to see it done right.
    You're right. You paid for it - they need to make any legitimate concern "right".

Good luck!

Fred

I absolutely agree with insisting on quality material being used...even if this was a simple barn for livestock, it should be built well from the start with straight and sound materials.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    You're right. You paid for it - they need to make any legitimate concern "right".

Good luck!

Fred
    Thanks Jim and Frederick, the builder has stated that he will replace framing that is warped. I think that the building manager not being on site the past couple days to catch this has contributed to the issue. I'm going to take the man at his word, but verify that the work is done properly.
    Last edited by Jefferey Scott; 08-03-2017 at 8:25 AM.
    Jeff

Trusses

Wednesday August 2 brought a sunny and warm day to the homestead. We arrived just as the crew was leaving for the day. Not much progress today, just finishing the headers and putting up 5 of the 17 trusses. Everything looked good with the trusses, nice and straight.

MAX_0010.00_00_40_19.Still003.jpgMAX_0010.00_00_21_25.Still002.jpgMAX_0010.00_00_50_03.Still004.jpg

Jeff

Trusses Complete

August 3 2017. The crew completed putting up all of the roof trusses today. They still have to mount the purlins on the north side of the roof, but they are in place and should stay put. They also left a 30 ft stretch of hydraulic oil puddles from the boom lift they rented. I wasn稚 happy to see this and I texted the building manager and conveyed my concern. He assured me they would clean it up completely, but more than likely, there will be a permanent stain on my nice clean concrete. Stuff happens, I understand, but this crew seems to show a lack of good judgement on occasion. On the positive side, the building is rock solid and I知 generally happy with the build so far. It does seem to be taking longer than it should thus far, but I知 impatient by nature.

IMG_1031.jpgIMG_1029.jpgIMG_1030.jpgIMG_1032.jpg

Jeff

No fly through?
    It's looking good!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice progress...

They need to deal with that hydraulic fluid sooner, rather than later...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...