Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Homestead 40x80x12

Once it got rolling you didn't waste any time! Did they get the oil spill cleaned up to your satisfaction?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Wow...that's really looking great!

Question...the LQ end (if I'm not mistaken) doesn't seem to have many windows. I'm curious about that given how beautiful the countryside is toward that end.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Once it got rolling you didn't waste any time! Did they get the oil spill cleaned up to your satisfaction?
    Yes they did Bruce. By Tuesday night it will be finished and secured.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Wow...that's really looking great!

Question...the LQ end (if I'm not mistaken) doesn't seem to have many windows. I'm curious about that given how beautiful the countryside is toward that end.
    There are 2 windows in the studio space. Its pretty small so that's about all the wall space we could spare

Thanks for the kind words!
    Jeff

I must admit to a bit of space envy as you have 5 times the space I have but I expect that is the same for a multitude of the members.

Because I don't know the climate you are in I was wondering why there doesn't appear to be any insulation under or around the slab to keep it from wicking warmth away in the winter? Not an issue or is that going to be taken care of another way?

Also it doesn't appear to me that you have finalized your lighting yet so I'll pitch in my opinion. I bought LED lights for my shop and garage earlier this year when we were completing our house build and love them. 16 of, 4000 lumen, 6000K, 5' long fixtures for the 635 square foot interior of my shop over the garage. I love the bright light they throw. Now the part that some will not like. I bypassed all the importers and distributors and bought them direct form China through Alibaba. I reasoned that I can get more lights and have money in hand for other shop needs rather than let the middlemen pocket it. The lights were about $17 US each plus shipping by FedEx so the 22 fixtures cost about $550 US or $830Can including tax to my door (about 2 weeks from order to receiving) at the time. Our dollar is better now and could have save more if I had been able to wait. Buying locally would have cost 2.5 to 4 times as much. They are UL approved as my electrician can't install anything that wasn't. Mine are a T5 equivalent but the makers have a variety of low and high bay lights including tri-lights that are impact, waterproof, and explosion resistant. If you want I'll post the information of the company I bought from if you would like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    I must admit to a bit of space envy as you have 5 times the space I have but I expect that is the same for a multitude of the members.

Because I don't know the climate you are in I was wondering why there doesn't appear to be any insulation under or around the slab to keep it from wicking warmth away in the winter? Not an issue or is that going to be taken care of another way?

Also it doesn't appear to me that you have finalized your lighting yet so I'll pitch in my opinion. I bought LED lights for my shop and garage earlier this year when we were completing our house build and love them. 16 of, 4000 lumen, 6000K, 5' long fixtures for the 635 square foot interior of my shop over the garage. I love the bright light they throw. Now the part that some will not like. I bypassed all the importers and distributors and bought them direct form China through Alibaba. I reasoned that I can get more lights and have money in hand for other shop needs rather than let the middlemen pocket it. The lights were about $17 US each plus shipping by FedEx so the 22 fixtures cost about $550 US or $830Can including tax to my door (about 2 weeks from order to receiving) at the time. Our dollar is better now and could have save more if I had been able to wait. Buying locally would have cost 2.5 to 4 times as much. They are UL approved as my electrician can't install anything that wasn't. Mine are a T5 equivalent but the makers have a variety of low and high bay lights including tri-lights that are impact, waterproof, and explosion resistant. If you want I'll post the information of the company I bought from if you would like.

Peter,
    The climate in Northeast Oklahoma doesn't necessitate under slab insulation in most houses here let alone a pole barn. It does get cold, but doesn't stay cold for long periods in the winter. Thankfully we get more than a few mild days during winter.

As far as the size, I built the biggest my budget (savings) would allow. I'm 55 so I've been saving a long time.

I'd like the information on your lights. You can PM the info or post it, whichever you are more comfortable with.

Thank you!
    Jeff

I bought from https://lonyung.en.alibaba.com/?spm=...erlist_company and the lights I bought were model LY-T5SL1500-40W but for your place you might want to check some of the other kinds they sell like the high bay ones in their new products. They will help advise you if you ask and were helpful. Because of the time difference they may respond next day or answer from home but the process is easy. I went through the Alibaba Trade Assurance and paid with a credit card. Advise your credit card company you are going to make a purchase and the amount or they may stop it. They do about 70% of their business in North America and can provide you with the UL certificates. Make sure you understand how they are mounted and wired and get any necessary extras in the initial order. Costs more for transportation later. Shipping will be 25% or more of the order but they will give you all charges up front. For what it's worth after buying mine several members of the local turning and woodworking clubs bought a bunch and we happy too.

Builder phase is complete

The builder is complete now on the barn. We got our 12w x 10 h insulated commercial doors installed a few days ago. They are a quality door and the installer did a great job installing them.

Friday August 18, our electricians came out and wired the meter can and connected the service entrance to the panel. I rented a track hoe to dig the 60 ft 36 inch deep trench for the 3" pvc pipe with a pull string added. Now we wait until Monday the 21st for the power company to pull and connect our service. We will then have juice to the building.

I did some grating with the Massey and the boxblade in front of the building where water was pooling from heavy rain we had recently. It didn't get in the building, the pad was constructed 4 inches above ground level. I cut a shallow swale in front of the building to allow water coming down hill to collect away from the building.

IMG_1131.jpgIMG_1130.jpgIMG_1127.jpgIMG_1124.jpgIMG_1113.jpgIMG_1115.jpg

Jeff

You'll be very happy with those steel backed insulated garage doors. Worth every penny.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    You'll be very happy with those steel backed insulated garage doors. Worth every penny.
    Thanks Lud, they are sweet and smooth. Someday when I get tired opening them with the pull rope, I'll put operators on them. For now, it's no big deal.
    Last edited by Jefferey Scott; 08-24-2017 at 7:26 AM.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    I bought from https://lonyung.en.alibaba.com/?spm=...erlist_company and the lights I bought were model LY-T5SL1500-40W but for your place you might want to check some of the other kinds they sell like the high bay ones in their new products. They will help advise you if you ask and were helpful. Because of the time difference they may respond next day or answer from home but the process is easy. I went through the Alibaba Trade Assurance and paid with a credit card. Advise your credit card company you are going to make a purchase and the amount or they may stop it. They do about 70% of their business in North America and can provide you with the UL certificates. Make sure you understand how they are mounted and wired and get any necessary extras in the initial order. Costs more for transportation later. Shipping will be 25% or more of the order but they will give you all charges up front. For what it's worth after buying mine several members of the local turning and woodworking clubs bought a bunch and we happy too.
    Pete, I checked out and got a quote on some lights. The price was very good, the shipping was like $250 for 28 lights. I'll run the numbers when I'm ready to pull the trigger on lights. I've got some picked out on a website here in the states and now have something to compare that to.

Thanks for the info!

Jeff
    Jeff

Shelves!

Picked these up off of Craigslist a couple months ago. We painted them recently and now had the time to set them up. They are 12 ft tall by 8 ft wide by 33 inches deep. There’s four shelves per unit. They went together easily and I’m now in the process of cutting decking for them out of Masonite. Each shelf has 6 – 2×4’s installed crossways for support of the decking, so I’m using 1/8″ hardboard at 9 bucks a sheet. It has plenty of support for most loads. I’ll be storing garage/shop and shed contents on these shelves.

We also put up our 10×20 portable garage. This is my spray booth, I restored the Massey Ferguson in it. We are going to store stuff that I want to keep some of the dirt and grime off of that comes with metal fabrication. We’ll see how that works. Everything is at least 4 ft off the walls so I can put up interior sheathing at some point hopefully in the next six months.

IMG_1181.jpgIMG_1182.jpgIMG_1185.jpgIMG_1183.jpg
    Jeff

Ladder and Lights

I've started wiring for a couple of outlets and some exterior LED lights. With that, I've need to get up to the trusses to nail the romex off onto. That called for a ladder I didn't yet own, so I purchased a Werner twin step 10' 1AA stepladder. It has 375 lbs capacity per side. I've been a fan in the past working with twin stepladders as they allow two people if needed on the ladder and have large weight limits. I'm also a fan of ladders with casters to be able to move it around easily, so I welded together a rectangular frame from 2x3 3/16" thick angle I had on hand and some nice 4" poly casters with brakes on each wheel.

Here's some pictures of exterior lights and the ladder with mobile base:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jefferey Scott; 09-28-2017 at 8:05 AM.
    Jeff

Smile Shop Decor

I picked up this LED fully functioning traffic light from a guy selling them on Facebook. I've kinda always wanted one and now I have a place to hang it and have some fun with it.

Bought a controller off Ebay that lets you program 9 different light patterns. Going to look good when I hang it up.

IMG_1210.jpg
    Last edited by Jefferey Scott; 10-05-2017 at 4:27 AM.
    Jeff

Looking really nice! Great job!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Looking really nice! Great job!
    Thank you Mike.
    Jeff