Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Homestead 40x80x12

26 gauge is standard. Considering the hail storms and crazy winds you're gonna get, don't go 29 gauge.
    -Lud

26 gauge it is. I spoke with my builder and for my size building the upcharge on the thicker steel is $2k. Most of the pole barn builders around the Tulsa Ok area offer 29 gauge as standard and 26 as an upgrade, so I'm not surprised it costs a little more. You do get 25-30% more steel with 26 gauge. I am going to insist that they use the same spacing on the wall girts and roof purlins as 29 gauge. I've read where some builders will use less wood in the structure because the thicker panels can span further. I want something built solid and it makes no sense to me to skimp on the wood just because the panel is thicker. Build date is still June 7th, they keep these builders in this area busy. Got my pad guy, plumber, and electrician queued up for the initial work. Now just sit and fret about the details
    Jeff

It'll be here before you know it. My guys show up Monday. Weather delayed them a week.

My neighbor is building a steel building. His material arrived 2 days ago and the driver parked in front of my shop's entrance. Everyone in the local area thought is was my truck and was calling me and my associates for a day. 36hrs later, they finally received the poor guy (who was from MN). I called everyone I could and even took the driver to lunch. I felt bad he had to sit so long. I told him he needed to sit in front of their driveway and maybe they would get the hint. That homeowner is a heavy equipment mechanic and works out of state. His wife wouldn't answer the door.
    -Lud

I'll be following your build Justin. Can't wait to see it going up.
    Jeff

Well the design has changed a little. We've added a 10x20 porch over the entrance to the apartment/living quarters. We've also decided to go with our own choice of windows, 3x5 single hung, double pane, vinyl windows, all 9 of them.

Got the plumber, electrician, and building pad guys all queued up and ready for action. June 7th....

Chaplin 40x80 with 10x20 Porch.jpg

And here's the latest floorplan:

shouse.jpg
    Last edited by Jefferey Scott; 04-25-2017 at 7:44 AM. Reason: Add Picture
    Jeff

Looks good. Not sure how long you're going to be living in there, but I would up the bathroom door size from 2-0 to 3-0 for wheel chair accessible. 2-6 and smaller doors, leave for closets and such. The price difference is negligible when considering changing just one door. I would make sure the storage door is a 3-0 also. Think about carrying boxes and things through it.
    -Lud

Absolutely on the storage room door. Hadn't considered a bigger one for the bathroom, but I will as I have the room for it.

How's your build coming along?
    Jeff

Building is up. Insulation blows in tomorrow. Overhead is in. I need to update my post. I have 3 jobs going and I've been trying to work on shop stuff in the evenings. I had Army drill Friday-Sunday, so I lost 3 days of work there.
    -Lud

Hang in there brother. It'll all come together soon. My builder has told me my build date is June 12th now. I've been adding features to mine that have jacked the price up almost 5k, but they will add value to the building and make my wife happy. That's the important consideration.
    Jeff

It's driveway and pad building time! We got the 300 ft driveway in yesterday using 3 inch crusher run as a base material. Unfortunately the frequent recent rains we've had have softened the ground too much for the 25 loads of shale to be delivered to the pad site. We will have to wait until it decides to stop raining and the ground firms up. Here's some pictures of the 1 shale delivery that almost got stuck.

IMG_0863.JPGIMG_0861.JPG

And here's the pad site with the grass removed. It was actually pretty solid unlike the driveway.

IMG_0877.JPG
    Jeff

I read the other day on a ad for pole barn kits about spray foam. They recommend install tyvex or something then the metal. then spray foam the inside. this way the foam does not stick to the metal so it can be replaced when needed.
    I could be wrong and it might not have been tyvex. check the metal maker about warranty with spray foam, tyvex etc. also check the spray foam maker about use with metal sheeting.
    They also mentioned something about a light spray on the roof to prevent condensation, not really a insulation of much.
    Bill D.

http://dripstop.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I read the other day on a ad for pole barn kits about spray foam. They recommend install tyvex or something then the metal. then spray foam the inside. this way the foam does not stick to the metal so it can be replaced when needed.
    I could be wrong and it might not have been tyvex. check the metal maker about warranty with spray foam, tyvex etc. also check the spray foam maker about use with metal sheeting.
    They also mentioned something about a light spray on the roof to prevent condensation, not really a insulation of much.
    Bill D.

http://dripstop.net/
    If you're spray closed-cell, it's needs to be sprayed directly on the metal, otherwise you enable moisture to build between the wrap and the metal and you also lose the rigidity of closed-cell foam. Replacing metal sheets just takes a little more elbow grease when closed-cell is involved.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    If you're spray closed-cell, it's needs to be sprayed directly on the metal, otherwise you enable moisture to build between the wrap and the metal and you also lose the rigidity of closed-cell foam. Replacing metal sheets just takes a little more elbow grease when closed-cell is involved.
    That's what I would think. Unfortunately, spray foam isn't an option. I'll be using fiberglass on the apartment build out within the building and the shop space in general when that time comes. I've read good and bad on spray foam. I'm mainly concerned with some stories I've read where the installer sprayed an incorrect ratio on the ingredients and I believe the iso was sprayed too heavy and caused serious health problems for the occupants. My wife is hyper-sensitive to certain chemicals, so we decided not to take any chance.

I'm not criticizing anyone else who has spray foam, want to make that clear. It was just a personal choice for us.

How's your build coming along Justin? Need more pictures.
    Jeff

I would update my post, but there's not much to add ATM. I was gone the past 3 weekends for family, a wedding, then Army drill. I'm working my toosh off trying to complete 3 jobs before I leave June 16th for my summer 2 weeks at Ft. Riley, Kansas. I haven't taken any pictures. They installed the disconnect and service panel last week. The transformers were hung Tuesday and tied in Wednesday. All I lack is pulling wire through all the conduit, buying a DC, hanging interior walls, topping out, then move in. I'll probably get most the wire pulled this weekend.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    I would update my post, but there's not much to add ATM. I was gone the past 3 weekends for family, a wedding, then Army drill. I'm working my toosh off trying to complete 3 jobs before I leave June 16th for my summer 2 weeks at Ft. Riley, Kansas. I haven't taken any pictures. They installed the disconnect and service panel last week. The transformers were hung Tuesday and tied in Wednesday. All I lack is pulling wire through all the conduit, buying a DC, hanging interior walls, topping out, then move in. I'll probably get most the wire pulled this weekend.
    You're a busy man. Thanks for the update, post up some pics when time allows.
    Jeff