Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water based poly over latex?

Phil, we are not in disagreement in the least. What you or I might use is predicated by the fact that we are more "educated consumers". What I was pointing out was that the vast majority are not and use whatever the store gives them...the paint counter where most folks shop doesn't even ask if you want oil based or latex anymore. They don't carry oil based, so why ask?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agree....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Phil, we are not in disagreement in the least. What you or I might use is predicated by the fact that we are more "educated consumers". What I was pointing out was that the vast majority are not and use whatever the store gives them...the paint counter where most folks shop doesn't even ask if you want oil based or latex anymore. They don't carry oil based, so why ask?
    And, hopefully, that's why this board is so important....education. That's why I'm here. To learn and pass on techniques that work.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Phil,

True, I did spray out the doors and trim with this particular product this time, but I have also brushed it before, and that is why I suggested it. It basically has all the working and durability properties of an oil or alkyd enamel, but with waterborne dry time and oil cure time (that's why it's sandable the next day). Part of the trick is to brush on a "risky" coat, which really is true for any latex or acrylic product. Thin coats will dry before they level and leave awful brush marks. Most waterborne paints will level fine if you put on a heavy coat (borderline running, so you have to know or test the paint you're using), and don't overbrush. I still see plenty of pro painters working latex like they were using an oil. Get it on, spread it to where you want it, tip it off, then leave it alone. Brushing mainly in one direction helps a lot, too.

You do it your way, and I'll do it the right way!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Before we bore everyone to death..

"You do it your way, and I'll do it the right way!" Jason R

Cute, but here is the main question. Can you use the product you are suggesting and, have equal or better results than alkyd enamel on a slab door, using a brush? Even on a hot summer day? Sober, standing on your head using your feet
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

"Can you use the product you are suggesting and, have equal or better results than alkyd enamel on a slab door, using a brush? Even on a hot summer day? Sober, standing on your head using your feet "

nyuk nyuk....Thats some good paint! But a terrible mental image! Especially the sober part
    Phil, do you ever see or hear from Uncle Mike Tubbs anymore? Or has he jumped off into fishing full time? Randy
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Hey, Randy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Denby
    "Can you use the product you are suggesting and, have equal or better results than alkyd enamel on a slab door, using a brush? Even on a hot summer day? Sober, standing on your head using your feet "

nyuk nyuk....Thats some good paint! But a terrible mental image! Especially the sober part
    Phil, do you ever see or hear from Uncle Mike Tubbs anymore? Or has he jumped off into fishing full time? Randy
    I have spoken to Uncle Tubby on several occasions. He's still in the lumber business and still runs his shop "out back". I'm thinkin' the fishin' part has the best of him, if not the suds
    Phil in Big D

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps
    Cute, but here is the main question. Can you use the product you are suggesting and, have equal or better results than alkyd enamel on a slab door, using a brush? Even on a hot summer day? Sober, standing on your head using your feet
    The most difficult part of that proposition would be finding a sober painter on a hot summer day...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore