Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite blade cleaner?

Blog Entries

Favorite blade cleaner?

Favorite saw blade/router bit cleaner? Go.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    L.A. Awesome from the 99cent store. Brazing safe (unlike Simple Green, EZ-Off and the like) quick and cheap. I set the blade in a shallow tray, spray around the outer edge, let it set for a few minutes and use a soft nylon brush to knock the spoil off, rinse and dry; ready to go.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Like Glenn says. I also called Freud a while back, and they said Awesome is on their list of approved products for cleaning blades. I use a cheap oil drain pan from the same store.

Cheap, quick, approved....Bingo.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    L.A. Awesome from the 99cent store. Brazing safe (unlike Simple Green, EZ-Off and the like) quick and cheap. I set the blade in a shallow tray, spray around the outer edge, let it set for a few minutes and use a soft nylon brush to knock the spoil off, rinse and dry; ready to go.
    Just the all-purpose cleaner, yellow liquid in a squirt bottle?
    My local Dollar Tree shows a whole line of LA Awesome cleaners.
    ~Garth

The Rocker stuff works good too. I got some on sale when it was super cheap and it makes a gallon when mixed.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

I'm still using EZ-Off and will keep using it until I see the supposed damage to the brazing. If I get shot by a flying tooth off the TS blade, y'all can say "I told you so."

BTW, this topic has been "discussed" at great length on this forum and many others.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garth Almgren View Post
    Just the all-purpose cleaner, yellow liquid in a squirt bottle?
    My local Dollar Tree shows a whole line of LA Awesome cleaners.
    Yes, the original Yellow stuff in a triggered squirt bottle. I was afraid they were going to stop carrying it as things come and go at these stores so I bought a few refills. As it turns out, so little is required I have been on the same bottle for about a year even though I use it with abandon.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn...it's not the orange based stuff?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I tend to use whatever household degreaser spray is in the kitchen closet....409, LA's Totally Awesome, Fantastic, Grease Lightnin, Goo Gone, etc. Spray, brush, rinse, dry....3-4 minutes.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    The reason I ask is that my old can of aerosol spray on blade cleaner (don't remember the name, but IIRC it was quite caustic) quit spraying at 1/4 gone and I tossed it a few years ago. My blades and bits are getting pretty gunked up and I was wondering if anything I had laying around might work. Based on Scott's comment, I might try my ZEP HD degreaser in the spray bottle. And frankly today I just felt too lazy to do a search, sorry. Yes it has been discussed before. But I don't remember the degreaser tip.
    NOW you tell me...

Simple Green in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket. (will be converting to the lid based on last month's discussion of this topic). No evidence of any issues with tooth adhesion 20 years into the experiment.

At trade shows, we use the citrus stuff. No fumes, won't dissolve plastic, and doesn't destroy your hands so much. At home, I blast things with aerosol brake cleaner if they're really cruddy. Nasty, nasty stuff but eats through anything.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Good info here. Quick question though, after you guys clean your blades what do you do (if anything) to them afterwords to protect them from rust, etc.? Is there something they should be coated with after they've been cleaned?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Good info here. Quick question though, after you guys clean your blades what do you do (if anything) to them afterwords to protect them from rust, etc.? Is there something they should be coated with after they've been cleaned?
    I use paste wax or Boeshield T-9. Usually Boeshield, though, because you can just spray it on and walk away.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    At trade shows, we use the citrus stuff. No fumes, won't dissolve plastic, and doesn't destroy your hands so much. At home, I blast things with aerosol brake cleaner if they're really cruddy. Nasty, nasty stuff but eats through anything.

Erik
    What about when you want to clean off acrylic? I have been cutting a fair bit of it and boy does it leave residue.