Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Supermax 19-38 Drum Sander

Help me out here guys: I've seen two references in this thread to "belt cleaner". What is that and how is it used? I don't recall seeing anything in the owner's manual about it, and am not sure what you are referring to.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Fails View Post
    Help me out here guys: I've seen two references in this thread to "belt cleaner". What is that and how is it used? I don't recall seeing anything in the owner's manual about it, and am not sure what you are referring to.

thanks!
    one examplehttp://www.baileigh.com/sd-belt-clea...term={Keyword}

thanks!

Attachment 329913

Blog Entries

thanks!

I leave the DC on, open the top halfway and just use these from Harbor Freight:

image_17622.jpg

I pick them up whenever they're on sale for few bucks and I have a coupon. I keep a couple by the 19-38, a couple by the edge sander and a couple in the drawers of the spindel/disc combo machine. I use them frequently and have yet to use one up completely.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

How about words on infeed/outfeed tables? Good to have, or don't need?

Mark,

I've had the 19-38 for a few months and have used it primarily to flatten cutting boards. Been very happy without any regrets. I passed on the feed tables mainly due to the shorter pieces I plan to pass thru the sander and space limitations. I guess it depends on what you plan to use your sander for. I purchased mine from Acme tools and their good folks to work with. Great customer service.

Michael

The Supermax is my next tool acquisition. It seems like all the reviews are so positive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    I went with the tables for the same reason I find them desirable on a planer. I wish the base were optional as it provides no storage for such a large footprint tool. A quick shop made base took care of that.

19-38-stand(24).jpg . 19-38-stand(25).jpg . 19-38-stand(13).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have had my 19-38 for two years. I have had no problems with it at all. Grits, I use 120 80%, 150-180 10%, and 80 10% of the time. I like the extension tables. The only thing I don't like, I bought the cabinet base and to me not worth the money at all. Cheap wheels that don't even swivel. The stand that comes with it would be better. If I did again I would make a base like Glenn did. I use the DRO for some things. Definitely when checking alignment of the drum and if I want to come back to a setting. I would definitely buy this machine again.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I haven't had to push or press my stock when sanding and like others just wait for the piece to come out the other side.

I didn't buy the tables. A few months later, I bought them and glad I did.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    I used to have tables on a 16/32. Sold it when I moved and bought a 19/38. Didn't get tables because they seemed useless on the 16/32 and don't miss them at all. You put the wood in; when it gets about half way through you walk around and take it out. I am not even sure what the table are supposed to do.

I generally have 80 in and leave it there because changing paper is a PITA. But... it is way better than the 16/32 was.

I have the tables and find them useful for staging wood to go through and to keep the boards from falling down as they exit the sander. I also set up roller stands another 4-5 feet out on each end to support the weight of the entering and exiting boards so I don't have to hold them up, or let them move up and down which creates yet more divots.

I sure would like to know what you guys who don't have to baby the boards through are doing differently from what I'm doing! The sandpaper drive belt on my machine is nearly new but with the lightest possible cut the boards will almost always stall once or twice on the way through if I don't keep constant pressure on them. The problem gets worse as I apply more downward pressure from the drum by taking a deeper cut.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I have the tables and find them useful for staging wood to go through and to keep the boards from falling down as they exit the sander. I also set up roller stands another 4-5 feet out on each end to support the weight of the entering and exiting boards so I don't have to hold them up, or let them move up and down which creates yet more divots.

I sure would like to know what you guys who don't have to baby the boards through are doing differently from what I'm doing! The sandpaper drive belt on my machine is nearly new but with the lightest possible cut the boards will almost always stall once or twice on the way through if I don't keep constant pressure on them. The problem gets worse as I apply more downward pressure from the drum by taking a deeper cut.
    Never had a divot; never a stall. Supporting 6' boards by hand isn't a problem.
    Maybe there is something wrong with your machine. I have never put any pressure on the boards; ever. When they are about half done I don't even touch them as I walk around to grab the end coming out. They go in and out by themselves.
    Okay, if a 6' board was a foot in and I didn't hold the free end up there would probably be a problem; but it is easy enough to avoid that.

My only problem is getting the paper end tight enough to avoid the paper overlapping. Besides that it is flawless.
    ---------------
    Maybe the tables are your problem? I don't know why they should be, but perhaps they are a poor substitute for holding the wood properly.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 01-22-2016 at 8:13 PM.

So, one gripe I keep hearing are guys having to push stock through. This sounds like a problem with the machine to me, unless they're trying to take too much off on a pass. My planer will stall if I try to take too big of a bite.

Ant comments from those that have had problems?