Thread: Porter Cable omnijig template 5122

Porter Cable omnijig template 5122

I recently purchased the omnijig template 5122 (adjustable through template) for my old Porter Cable 5116 jig from someone on Ebay. Unfortunately, the end angle brackets are missing.....

I have other templates for the jig but the mounting angle brackets for those templates are different than what is required for the 5122.

I'm wondering if anyone could provide me some pics and measurements for the angle brackets. I have a local metal shop in town that's willing to mill me a set, but I need some detailed specs.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-21-2016 at 3:08 PM.

Welcome to Sawmill Creek, Russ. Can you post a picture of the template?

John

5122 Brackets
    I can make you a sketch tomorrow if needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    Welcome to Sawmill Creek, Russ. Can you post a picture of the template?
    Thanks. Here's a pic of the template (of what I have). I'm missing the end brackets, set screws, and spacers.

But it looks like BruceP can send me some specs!

PC-5122.jpg
    Last edited by Russ Loucks; 01-21-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    5122 Brackets
    I can make you a sketch tomorrow if needed.
    Excellent! Yes, please!

I'm assuming they're interchangable (e.g. no specific left or right side). I'll have to tap the brackets to accept the set screws, as well, eh?

How can I get you a case of beer?

Looks like Bruce has you covered.

Russ, these are the dimensions exactly as measured from my brackets (2 required). I don't think any of them are all that critical - the .385 diameter holes are a sloppy slip fit for the .340 rods. I would give the machinist a +/- .005 tolerance on all dim's.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Loucks View Post
    How can I get you a case of beer?
    Instead of a case of beer, hit the donate button at the top of the page and help keep the lights on here. For a $6 minimum you receive several perks in becoming a Contributor.

No laughing at my drawing - I never claimed to be a draftsman!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Russ, these are the dimensions exactly as measured from my brackets (2 required). I don't think any of them are all that critical - the .385 diameter holes are a sloppy slip fit for the .340 rods. I would give the machinist a +/- .005 tolerance on all dim's.

Instead of a case of beer, hit the donate button at the top of the page and help keep the lights on here. For a $6 minimum you receive several perks in becoming a Contributor.

No laughing at my drawing - I never claimed to be a draftsman!!
    Oh. My. Gawd. Thank you!

Contribution? Done!

Bruce, I've been traveling a bit so I haven't had a chance to get these made, but I did make a prototype out of wood.

I do have a question about the brackets. I see the top (horizontal) leg has a set screw at the back to hold the back bar into place. The amount of material in the bracket leg to hold that set screw seems reeeally small.

Would it be possible to extend that top leg 1/8" or so to provide more material for the set screw (so I don't easily strip the threads)?

Thanks!
    r

Yeah, there isn't much meat there. The 3.500 dimension is not critical, as long as you do the math to maintain the Ø.385 hole locations relative to the bottom of the brackets, (2.720 & 3.215).

Andy Rooney

Yeah, there isn't much meat there. The 3.500 dimension is not critical, as long as you do the math to maintain the Ø.385 hole locations relative to the bottom of the brackets, (2.720 & 3.215).
    K, thanks.

All right. I finally got the end brackets and spacers made and the entire jig and template tested.

Works like new! I had to have the end brackets milled back a second time as they stuck up juuuuust a bit above the forks, but now they're perfect. I had the machinest add an 1/8" behind the back hole so there's some good iron there for the set screw to hold. Here are some pics of the jig template and finished end brackets.

Thanks again!
    dttemplate1.jpg dttemplate2.jpg