Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thin mdf

thin mdf

I have need of thin sheets of mdf. I'm not looking for full sheets but half would be ok. 1/16", 1/10", 1/8". Would appreciate any direction. I know Georgia Pacific makes it but I can't get an answer from them as to who might be a dealer.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Would hardboard work for you? That is readily available from most sheet goods dealers. I've only purchased mdf down to 1/4" thickness.

Red
    RED

The 1/8" hardboard would work but I need all three thicknesses I mentioned.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

My normal distributors don't stock anything thinner than 1/8" or 3mm. Special ordering requires very large orders. I've never seen the thinner sheets you're looking for.
    Gerry

JointCAM

I haven't seen anything thinner than 1/8". Maybe thickness sand 1/8 down? That would be time consuming and very messy but doable with some coarse paper.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

I have run MDF through my planer to get 3/4 down to 5/8 inch. It worked better than I expected but produces a tremendous amount of dust. You might be able to start with 1/4" and get 1/8". I can't imagine an application for 1/16 or even 1/8 inch MDF. I would like to hear about your project if you are at liberty to describe it.

The people at Georgia Pacific are the most ignorant of their own products of any I have come accross. Years back they came out with an exterior mdf called Fiberstrate . Heavily advertised it. But in our numerous calls to local suppliers and east and west coast corporate people they denied they made any such product. Any carpenter will attest to the fact that they can never set up a moulder the same way twice. If you don't find the product you need consider laminate backer sheets, laminate with the face design sanded off, or Italian bending ply.

Wow. 1/16 MDF. I never heard of that. Knowing my experience with the thicker versions, I'd expect 1/16 MDF to have the consistency of a cracker, and it's equivalent strength.
    I too am curious as to what use you have that requires such a thin material.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

I know you can get it down to 1/10th". Can you saw it to thinner pieces?
    What is the finished size? What are you making as there may be other options and materials to use. That would the best way to ask a question on a forum and will get you better answers.

It's unlikely you can small quantities of thinner mdf.

I can't say that I've seen it recently up here in Alaska but I used to see 1/8" MDF project panels at HD.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

It's for architectural models. Customer is currently sourcing from England and his supplier sent me his materials list. The customer is not picky about materials but needs to have the right dimensions.

G-P says they have it so I just need to look a little harder. http://www.buildgp.com/hardboard-thin-mdf

Thanks for your input.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

MOST manufacturers are able to tell potential customers who their retail outlets are and direct them to one that stocks or would order a specific product.

We regularly get 1/8" MDF, I think Atlantic Plywood is our distributor on the east coast. Do they service your area?
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

14. Mike

Would balsa wood work? Also have a look at picture frame supplies as they have many different sort of boards.

Regards

Graham

You may be able to get plywood products in some of those thicknesses, primarily through the hobby/modeling industry.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...