Thread: Stanley style Tool Box

Stanley style Tool Box

patterned after the No. 888 that Stanley sold back in the 1920s. One needs a place to carry all their tools, right?
    side view.jpg
    Since I only had enough Walnut on hand for the dust seals, the rest came from Menards' cut-offs bin.
    end view.jpg
    Hand sawn dovetails, seem to look a bit better that just nailed up rebate joints on the corners? It has a fancy latch on each end, to keep the lids securely closed...lids?
    opened lid.jpg
    Yep, one lid on each side. they both open up like this. Size of the box? 21" long overall, by 11" at the base, by 8-3/4" tall. It has a single, metal handle at the "peak" of the top, right in the center. Working on adding tool holders for the insides. These things carried a lot of Stanley Tool products, back in the day.
    Stanley Tools.jpg
    Just a sample. Some of these held three times this amount...
    Took about a week or so to build the box...

Steven,
    You have done well. I like it!
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Nice. I'm waiting for a picture with all the tools and toolholders installed...

Need to make the holders first. Would help IF I knew what they looked like. Or at least where I'd be able to make my own.

Box IS filling up, though.

Ok, bit of an update for this box. This thing is getting heavy!! Got MOST of the tools that were "called" for into the box. That single handle on the top just wasn't doing it, hurt the hand. Sooo, picked up a couple wire pull handles, one per end.
    vix bit.jpg
    I used that Vix Bit to drill pilot holes for the screws. I also picked up a few "cup hooks"
    hangers.jpgplier hanger.jpg
    As for what else is in there to make this weigh in at over 50 pounds?
    IMAG0056.jpgtools.jpg
    That long brown thing is a marking gauge, a few chisels, a #1220 eggbeater drill, 16oz hammer, 6' zigzag ruler, 3/8" cold chisel, couple of auger bits, and a Stanley 645 brace, a 3/8" gimlet bit. a #220 block plane and a #3 bench plane. Sharpening stone, small pipe wrench, 10" cresent wrench, G-P push drill, Stanley handyman 133 Yankee screwdriver, and a H-1443 flat bladed screwdriver. And that bevel gauge, and a pair of pliers. Didn't have the 18" long level...
    needed a place to set this thing on...like a stand of some sort..
    tool box stand.jpg
    Works for me....