Thread: ? How to Install Window sill or stool - new windows

? How to Install Window sill or stool - new windows

Greetings, posting here because more of a finish carpentry question, so wasn't sure the Projects thread would be appropriate.

We installed new Marvin windows and my question is: how do I attach the window sill? Biscuits? (have a Lamello), Dominoes? (could easily rationalize), pocket screws and plugs? (least inclined to do this . . but)

Old window were 1960's aluminum sliders; we went down to the studs, insulated, new sheet rock, etc. old window sill.jpg

The new windows are flush with the wall.New Marvin bath window.jpgIMG_1948.jpg

I want to have the sill meet/mate to the face of the bottom board, land the casing on the wings and put an apron underneath. I want a traditional look rather than just using mitered casing for a picture frame effect.

1. how do I attach the sill?
    2. given the fact I will have a joint between the window frame and the mating surface of the sill, should I try putting a subtle V groove on the top mating surfaces or just accept that some joint will telegraph thru the enamel?

3. while I am at it, and you are still willing to read . . . . how do I treat the end grain on the wings of the sill? Probably using poplar; is it appropriate to cut a return at the end of the wing or do I just sand, fill, sand, prime, sand, paint, paint 2nd top coat?

My house, my time, so a journey and not a race. It will always bug me if I "cheap out" and not do it "right".

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience. Patrick

Patrick,

There are some excellent videos on YouTube for trimming out windows and This Old House website has Tommy showing how to do it IIRC.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Patrick--- I've been a finish carpenter for a few decades, trimmed out a bazillion windows. My .02:

Keep the stool (not a "sill", a stool) narrow, like 1/2" deeper than your casing (shorter lever arm) and drop it slightly below the window's bottom frame member, creating a small "reveal".

A few finish nails or trim screws into the window frame will hold it tight, and the apron will provide support underneath.

I usually let the end grain be exposed---profiling to match the front edge as needed. Mitered returns here are trouble. I do put mitered returns on the apron if it is profiled. For square stock, cut clean, sand, paint.

Gentleman, thank you kindly for your suggestions.
    Jerry, the reveal makes more sense, and would collect no dust, than the V groove idea. I was thinking about the old saying "if you can't hide it, accentuate it". Your suggestion is a much better solution.

Ken, as soon as I read yours I had one of those head slap "duh" moments.

Best regards to both of you, Patrick