Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medicine Cabinets - Build thread

Blog Entries

Medicine Cabinets - Build thread

Evening!

Building a pair of medicine cabinets for my house to replace some real junkers installed by the original builder. These will set into the wall and reveal about 2" of the cabinet.

This first cabinet is the prototype, so there will be limited photos of the process, but the second one I will detail the joinery and build as I progress through it.

Because this is in a high moisture environment I've decided to use cypress, leaning toward quarter sawn material. I bought 4/4 material with designs on ripping it down to the required thickness by hand.

Some of the pieces did not call for resawing and so I used David's jack plane to remove the majority of the material. This removed material in a hurry....I took swipes where easily 1/16" of material was removed.

Followed up with the try plane

Each board was then fine tuned with the #4 plane and then a finish pass was done with the Kanna leaving a super bright surface. The #4 left a surprisingly bright surface on this material but was ever so slightly out done by the Kanna with it's low angle bedding.

Ripping some material for shelving;

Sticking with thin material on this project and joinery which relies minimally upon glue.

If you look closely you may notice that those are mitered edge dovetails, both front and back. I wanted to hide the grooves that will ultimately capture the back panel and also show a miter on the inside of the cabinet.

The outside 1.5" will be wrapped in a surround (door frame), but when the door is opened the leading edges of those miters will be revealed.

The shelves are housed through tenons.

Hope you guys enjoy!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

OK Brian, 2nd photo of the try plane is just showing off. You may have watched too much of the Japanese planning contest video. And what's up with all of the mess? I worry for you.
    David

I always feel a little uneasy when people are so productive

You are off to a good start!

Ok Brian, can't waiting to see what you are doing with those shelves to connect them to the frame.

Blog Entries
    Thanks gents!

I'll post up some photos of the Jack plane shavings as well, as they come out of the plane, across the grain are as you would expect, but along the grain the shavings are wild.

Pat, sounds good! I'll definitely detail the process.

I envy that shaving shown in the picture.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Don! I'd love to take credit for mastery of the shaving, but David's Try plane makes those types of shavings with ease. It's very similar to a painting that George often refers to made by a young girl of her father in the work shop, with shavings coming straight out of the plane.

Cutting for scissor hinges

Chopped the waste, pared the floor.

Cutting single half half blinds around the perimeter frame.

Cheating a bit, since I have the compression of softwoods to work to my advantage. So making the tails taper in slightly so that they make a super tight fit.

Can you enlighten me a little more on David's Try Plane, am not familiar with it.
    Thanks
    Don

Blog Entries
    David Weaver built the plane for me. It's a double iron beech Try plane, the chip breaker has a long sweeping curve to it and it turns these sort of shavings with ease.

David doesn't built them to sell, but Steve Voigt does.

Brian.. As usual beautiful work that one can only be inspired by. I have a question. How do you remove these scribing lines ?

dovetail.jpg
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Blog Entries
    Thank you Lasse! The baselines stay, they're an indicator of handwork...and also very difficult to plane away, haha.

Haha i like that

Blog Entries
    Skipped a few steps, but I will be certain to detail everything on the second build:

Resawing material for the back

And a mock up on the wall, obviously much drywall work is coming soon, and the door is just set in, not installed.

No idea what to do for a pull or handle, so that is my current sticking point.

Also, I'm certain to be a shellac convert soon, though I plan to mix my own going forward to dump the chemicals.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 01-27-2016 at 10:21 PM. Reason: iPhone's creative wording

Wow, what is that veneer from ?
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Blog Entries
    Thanks Lasse! That is maple burl veneer, and strangely enough the burl darkens it enough that it's a better match to cypress than it is to other maple.