Thread: First dovetails. By hand non the less.

First dovetails. By hand non the less.

I have been meaning to build about fifteen drawers for some cabinets in my shop for well over a year now. The plan has been mahogany sides backs and bottoms with birdseye faces. I would like to do half blind dovetails for the faces and through dovetails for the backs of the boxes.

I figured before i jumped head first into very expensive stock i would practice on some spare scap i had lying around the shop.

I settled on a long and low box. The face and back are curly maple. The sides are teak and the bottom is walnut. It should be a pretty cool box when all is said and done. I may inlay some ebony into the sides to act as handles of a sort?

I left both sides of the box high as to act as a handles. This is where i indend to inlay and recess the ebony. Prior to laying out the tails leaving the sides high to act as handles seemed like a pretty nice design idea. When i finaly took the plung this afternoon and started cutting my pieces to exact size and then laying out my tails i quickly realised i had added another layer of complication to my first attempt at dovetails. I almost backed out and cut the sides even with the face and back. Then i said no i got this dont be scared just take your time and do it.

Anyway pictures bellow. I only got the tails cut. Hopefully tomorrow before the game i can get the pins done. I am really really happy with the tails. I had not one slip up or oops. That is not how i thought this first endeavor would go. Wish me the same luck tomorrow with the pins.

Also attached is a pic of my new collection of tools to assist as i venture from machines to hand tools. I also attached a picture of the sides and backs for the soon to be drawers all roughed up waiting for a final run over the jointer then through the planer. I am still deciding if i want to do plywood bases or glue up mahogany pannels. I am leaning more towards the mahogany pannles vrs plywood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 01-23-2016 at 8:35 PM.

Lookin good. Be sure to post some more pictures when you get the pins cut so we can see how she comes together!

Patrick, I am curious though - why mahogany for shop furniture?

And I'm with you - I wouldn't use plywood bottoms if you're making the drawers with high quality wood. It only costs a little more to go first class, as a buddy of mine always says!

I hope to have more pictures tomorrow by this time. Two football games could throw a kink in that plan but i hope not.

Why mahogany for shop furniture, why not?

My shop is where i spend most of my free time when im not working. I am carpenter by trade. My day job is building custom homes. Be it so i Monday - Friday i rarely get a chance to do the highly detailed work i so crave and would so much like to be doing. The company i work for builds fairly nice multi million dollar homes. But as most whom do residential construction for a living know its all about the bottom line and few know the difference between good work and good enough. Even fever people are willing to actaully pay for "REALLY GOOD" work.

The weekend is my time to shine. I have a background in fine arts. I am very driven by my surroundings drawing insperation from all sorts of things at times when i least suspect it. Its kinda like having quality music or talk radio on when in the shop vrs mumbo jumbo or garbage. I find insperation all around me so i figure why not create a environment that stimulates even more creativity.

Plus my house is small and already full of very nice D.R. Dimes reproduction furniture. I have room for a few additional pieces. I figure before i delve full bore into making my dream highboy dresser making myself a dream shop is not such a bad idea. If i screw up a dovetail on the back of a shop drawer no big deal. Plus i just see no poimt in doing anything half assed or half way. Thats pretty much what im payed to do Monday - Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Lookin good. Be sure to post some more pictures when you get the pins cut so we can see how she comes together!

Patrick, I am curious though - why mahogany for shop furniture?

And I'm with you - I wouldn't use plywood bottoms if you're making the drawers with high quality wood. It only costs a little more to go first class, as a buddy of mine always says!
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 01-23-2016 at 9:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    Those look really nice, but if that is a drawer front, don't you have the dovetails wrong? Normally the tails would be on the sides so that the drawer front won't tend to pull off.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Practice for a drawer front, not a drawer.

The pictures are of a decorative box but yes the tails are on the sides of the box and will be on my eventual drawers also.

Fifteen drawers at about eight hours of shop time a week maybe 10-12 on a good week and the drawers should be ready for finish just in time for spring

Room for improvment.

Still need a bit of fine tuning.

I have already learnt a thing or two for next time.

image.jpg

image.jpg

This looks very good. Im not sure I would have practised on such nice and expensive wood

Where do you guys get your hands on all that curly maple ?
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Im just outside Boston.

Just about any specialty lumber yard local to me has curly maple. If not you can always order online..

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    This looks very good. Im not sure I would have practised on such nice and expensive wood

Where do you guys get your hands on all that curly maple ?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Im just outside Boston.

Just about any specialty lumber yard local to me has curly maple. If not you can always order online..

I would probably have to import it from the states to Europe, probably too expensive
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Looks good Patrick!
    And, yeah, I understand your point about wanting nice stuff even in the shop!
    Fred

Looks good...Much satisfaction in doing your own DTs..No jigs,,,,well done
    Jerry