Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Toolchest Lid-Mounted Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Well Stanley, I suppose it is OK .. if you go for such things. I mean, where are the kanna? What do you do on the work site and a Japanese woodworker comes over and asks to hold your kiridashi? I mean, really.

If that toolchest was Australian, it would have a beer fridge.

Second rate, mate, second rate ..

Regards from Perth

Derek
    切出小刀 are in the top drawer, but not visible. And if some guy on the jobsite is so rude as to ask to "hold my kiridashi," I'll tell him to bugger off and give him a get-along with my steel-toe jikatabi. I run the jobsite after all.

鉋 are in trays No. 2 & 3.

Fridge is in the tray with the plug. I don't drink.... so I guess the Aussies won't let me in the country. So sad.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 01-26-2016 at 8:34 AM.

Hi Stanley

What do they make of your Western planes?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Stanley
    What do they make of your Western planes?
    Derek
    I have not showed them to a lot of people.

Professionals such as carpenters and blacksmiths I have shown them to politely mutter nice things at first, but are always a tad befuddled. After I explain what they are, they look at them like tits on a bull. Rube Goldberg impression, I suppose.

I showed a couple to a friend who is a professor of woodworking instruction at a major university here in Tokyo. He is seriously into handsaws, owning several thousand antique maebiki. He knew what it was right away, but couldn't figure out how to adjust it.

Not a single person has accepted my invitation to givem a go.

Sigh...

Are you related to Mr. Studley? That is one sweet tool chest. This looks finer than some furniture projects I have seen.
    Tool holding: try using some turn buttons-small oval or tear-drop shaped slivers of wood that swivel on a screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Are you related to Mr. Studley? That is one sweet tool chest. This looks finer than some furniture projects I have seen.
    Tool holding: try using some turn buttons-small oval or tear-drop shaped slivers of wood that swivel on a screw.
    Thanks.

My wife used to call me "studley."

Stan

This chest is incredibly marvelous. Thanks for sharing it!

Quick question: How did you manage to integrate the magical drawers? Because I swear your drawers have drawers with larger tools than those in the outside drawers. Or are the extra drawers inside the tools themselves? Each new picture has something new to see and admire!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dima View Post
    This chest is incredibly marvelous. Thanks for sharing it!

Quick question: How did you manage to integrate the magical drawers? Because I swear your drawers have drawers with larger tools than those in the outside drawers. Or are the extra drawers inside the tools themselves? Each new picture has something new to see and admire!
    Barry:

Thank you for the compliment.

Sorry, I don't quite understand your question. Do you mean the saws in the sawtill appear bigger than the toolchest?

Stan

Stan,

I have only built fancy chisel racks in my mind- the one I currently have is a mere shadow of yours. The ice cream drawer is fantastic!

Would you mind sharing basic dimensions of both your chest and till?

Best,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    That is a healthy tool addiction Stanley!

Indeed...I love this tool box. Much more impressive than anything I own or probably will own...

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    Barry:

Thank you for the compliment.

Sorry, I don't quite understand your question. Do you mean the saws in the sawtill appear bigger than the toolchest?

Stan

Whoops, I made a poor joke. I mean that your tool chest's space seems endless, since each picture has a new area with new tools—which I jokingly attributed to magic. Of course, the reasons are your superb planning and execution. (Me? I'd have to sell my soul at the crossroads.)

Afraid the tools in my tool box lid are rather sparse...
    tool chest #2 opened.jpg
    Atkins Ship saw, and a Disston D-8.....then again, this is a bit of a small chest...

Stanley, that is a very well thought out solution and makes great use of the lid.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Haydon View Post
    Stanley, that is a very well thought out solution and makes great use of the lid.
    Thank you.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Stan,

I have only built fancy chisel racks in my mind- the one I currently have is a mere shadow of yours. The ice cream drawer is fantastic!

Would you mind sharing basic dimensions of both your chest and till?

Best,
    C
    Give me a few days to take measurements, and I will post some dimensions. I don't have the drawings anymore.

Stan
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 01-26-2016 at 5:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dima View Post
    Whoops, I made a poor joke. I mean that your tool chest's space seems endless, since each picture has a new area with new tools—which I jokingly attributed to magic. Of course, the reasons are your superb planning and execution. (Me? I'd have to sell my soul at the crossroads.)
    Thank you for the compliments, and sorry I missed the joke.

Stan