Thread: Search SMC

Search SMC

I use the search box in the upper right hand corner.
    Is there a way to do an advanced search? For example to have newest post on the subject come up first.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Click the Advanced Search button below the search box. Looks like you can sort results by date.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

That's interesting. I do not see an advanced search button under the search box using Firefox. So I opened up MS Edge and it is displayed.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

You can also search using Google by typing "site:sawmillcreek.org" at the end of your query.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    That's interesting. I do not see an advanced search button under the search box using Firefox. So I opened up MS Edge and it is displayed.
    Strange. I see the Advanced Search link and I'm using Firefox. I also see it if I try Chrome, although I didn't log in under Chrome. I wonder what controls the existence of that link.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    You can also search using Google by typing "site:sawmillcreek.org" at the end of your query.
    That's the same as using the search box in the upper right. The Advanced Search page (via the separate link) gives you a finer grain of control.

I've had issues in the past with advanced search. I'd enter search criteria and would get back a "no results found" message when I knew full well there were results. The trick was to click on the "search single content" tab or "search multiple content" then enter search criteria. That would yield search results. I am getting a couple lines above the Sawmill Creek banner this morning that I haven't seen before (though I seldom use the search function). Browser is Firefox 43.0.4 on Ubuntu Gnome 14.04.3.

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupMessage::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in ..../packages/vbforum/item/socialgroupmessage.php on line 261

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupDiscussion::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in ..../packages/vbforum/item/socialgroupdiscussion.php on line 337

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Just as a public service . . . I do have the Advanced Search when using Windows and Firefox. Something in your settings?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I've had issues in the past with advanced search. I'd enter search criteria and would get back a "no results found" message when I knew full well there were results. The trick was to click on the "search single content" tab or "search multiple content" then enter search criteria. That would yield search results. I am getting a couple lines above the Sawmill Creek banner this morning that I haven't seen before (though I seldom use the search function). Browser is Firefox 43.0.4 on Ubuntu Gnome 14.04.3.

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupMessage::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in ..../packages/vbforum/item/socialgroupmessage.php on line 261

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupDiscussion::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in ..../packages/vbforum/item/socialgroupdiscussion.php on line 337
    This problem has been reported and is being worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Just as a public service . . . I do have the Advanced Search when using Windows and Firefox. Something in your settings?
    The advanced search is located here:search.JPG at the top of every page.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Im using Firefox (updated) on Windows 10 HP laptop ( 6 months old) and the "Advanced search" under the search box as in the pic does not show for me. Also the magnifying glass next to the search box in the pic is down to the right of where the Advanced Search should be.
    Wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    This problem has been reported and is being worked on.

The advanced search is located here:search.JPG at the top of every page.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 02-14-2016 at 7:28 PM.
    - Rick Dale

This "warning" should be fixed when we complete our next upgrade. As for the Advanced Search in Firefox: that could be caused by plugins which you have loaded (either on purpose or not), such as AdBlockers or even hidden malware, or it could be that the latest Firefox is not rendering the html/css the same as previous versions.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl View Post
    This "warning" should be fixed when we complete our next upgrade. As for the Advanced Search in Firefox: that could be caused by plugins which you have loaded (either on purpose or not), such as AdBlockers or even hidden malware, or it could be that the latest Firefox is not rendering the html/css the same as previous versions.
    My Advanced search disappeared recently and what I did was reset Firefox and it came back. I use Adblock plus and the Advanced search is still there with that add on installed. I don't have a clue why it went away in the first place as I didn't add any new add on or update Firefox.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute