Thread: 4 in 1 CBN wheels from Wood Turners Wonder?

4 in 1 CBN wheels from Wood Turners Wonder?

Studying/considering a set of the 4 in 1 CBN wheels from Woodturners Wonder?

http://woodturnerswonders.com/collec...n-1-cbn-wheels

1. With the radiused edges, is the remaining flat in the center wide enough?
    2. Do you find the radiused edges and side grinding capability useful?
    3. I read in a previous thread that there had been some balance problems with them. Can anyone comment on that?

I would appreciate any experience with them that could be shared.

2. I have the radius edge wheel from WTW. The center flat area is plenty wide. I have been able to do the grinding that I need on the radius edge; I haven't felt that I needed the flat area on the side. I bought the self aligning spherical washer but have not needed to use it; the wheel spins true. Hope that helps.

I have two 1 1/2" D-Ways at home and a radius one at our club workshop. The wide surface to me as a gouge sharpening system is the best. The wide surface excels at swept back gouges and allows a lot of freedom to roam on the surface of the wheel. I have never found a need for the radius corners on the one at the shop.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I have two of them, an 80 and a 180. The flat is plenty wide enough for me. I have not used the radius, but do use the sides.

As near as I can tell, the radius edge is most practical for sharpening hollowing bits. They go in jigs, and rather than rotating to sharpen the sides/put a little sweep in them. you just push them around the corner. Dave Schweitzer shows this, and John Lucas on one of his sharpening clips shows the same thing, but it is on a standard wheel. I do have a set of the D Way radius edge wheels, and find them fine for gouges, but only use them when I am doing a sharpening demo as I have my Oneway Wolverine compatible robo rest on the grinder with those wheels, and people need to see the set up. Side grind? Well, try as I may, I can't think of what I would use it for. Dave did say that the carvers liked them. My daily use ones are 1 1/2 inch wide and square edge. I may have to get one of Ken's aluminum wheels just to see what they are like.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    As near as I can tell, the radius edge is most practical for sharpening hollowing bits. They go in jigs, and rather than rotating to sharpen the sides/put a little sweep in them. you just push them around the corner. Dave Schweitzer shows this, and John Lucas on one of his sharpening clips shows the same thing, but it is on a standard wheel. I do have a set of the D Way radius edge wheels, and find them fine for gouges, but only use them when I am doing a sharpening demo as I have my Oneway Wolverine compatible robo rest on the grinder with those wheels, and people need to see the set up. Side grind? Well, try as I may, I can't think of what I would use it for. Dave did say that the carvers liked them. My daily use ones are 1 1/2 inch wide and square edge. I may have to get one of Ken's aluminum wheels just to see what they are like.

robo hippy
    Reed, thanks for the excellent review on CBN's on your website. I downloaded the PDF of it and saved it for reference. I too will have one of your Robo Rests soon, I ordered it this morning.

Thanks Alan. It is going out today.

robo hippy

I have 80 grit and 180 grit radius wheels from Woodturning Wonders. I use the radius to sharpen the bits for hollowing tools (something I learned in a David Ellsworth class). If you have any balance problems, Ken sells a "balance washer" for about $5 that solves the problem. Ken belongs to our local club and has sold 100s of cbn wheels in this area. I am not aware of anyone who has had a problem.