Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to SMC. Looking for some Jointer / Planer suggestions

New to SMC. Looking for some Jointer / Planer suggestions

Finally joined the Creek. I've referenced this site quite a bit over the past couple years while researching and getting into woodworking. Awesome place and folks.

I'm still pretty new to woodworking but find myself getting to a point where I want to start having my own big power tools in my own little space for some convenience and control with some of my projects. I work for a company that specializes in Timber Frame construction. They are also general contractors and occasionally get commissions for custom woodworking projects, though this has slowed since the recession. Most of what I've done has been general carpentry and timber framing. Working with them, I've been introduced to many techniques and tools that I would call in the woodworking vein, whether on a large, timber frame scale or smaller woodworking scale. They have a decently outfitted wood shop that I can use pretty much anytime I'm not working, but I work quite a bit and have a young family and can't get away to work in the shop as much as I'd like.

Over the past year or so I've started to assemble some tools in my small (600 sq ft) basement, at first geared towards general carpentry and home improvement/remodeling, but am now wanting to move into at least being able to dimension my own lumber at home in my own time.

I currently work with a delta contractor TS w/ bies fence and custom formica top table, Dewalt 12" SCMS, and just was gifted a Hitachi 8.5" SCMS and Hitachi bench top drill press. I just bought a HF 2 hp dust collector, but still need to assemble it and buy all the hose/fittings/etc. I plan to build a thien baffle and upgrade to a .5 or 1 micron canister for the top.

What I really lack is both a jointer and planer to take my capabilities to the next level. Just finishing up a custom cedar deck wrapping around the house and soon about to start a kitchen remodel. I have been researching about building an edge grain, glue up hard maple countertop. Dimensions of roughly 2' W x 10' L. I may end up dimensioning and assembling that project in the shop at work because they have a lot better tables and tons more space than I do in my basement (it's a bit cramped) but I still see a lot of need in future for dimensioning rough lumber at my own house. Just off the top of my head, I have plans to re-trim the whole house with stained maple most likely, have plans for making simple projects like wall shelves, dining table, benches, book shelves, blanket chests, just to give you an idea of the type of stuff I'm interested in making. I would also love to build myself a real workbench w/ vise sometime in the next 6 months.

Pretty much decided on an 8" jointer bc I want all the bed length I can fit. I've got about a 20' length of wall about 3-4' wide in which to put the jointer and feed wood in and out. Budget is still not exactly determined, but most likely under $1k (used or new.) I would love to find a used 8" w/ a byrd helical head for around $1k, but I may be dreaming….The shop at work has a PM60 which is a fine machine and a 12" machine made by Steton which is a jointer/planer combo. Haven't used that one. They've also got a huge Berlin Machinery (pre Yates) No.199 16" jointer collecting dust in the way back, but I don't think it is in running order. Wouldn't even know how to get something like that in my basement anyway. Any suggestions are welcome. Perfect world would be to find a DJ20 with a helical head installed for around $1k, and I think I'd be set for many years to come. I see PM60 come up for sale fairly regularly, but they are normally not in excellent condition and asking prices have seemed to soar in the last year (2 for sale somewhat locally and both asking well over $1k each…)

As for a planer, I'm not as picky. I've spent some intimate time with a Woodmaster 712, which is a fine and powerful machine, but I think they're kinda overpriced usually and I don't care about it be able to run molder heads or gang rip. I've also used a Ridged 13", but found it be slow and nowhere near as capable compared to the Woodmaster. It also was louder than hell! This is somewhat of a concern, bc I have 2 kids under 5 and would love to be able to run equipment potentially when they are asleep. I've read that helical cutter heads are noticeably quieter than standard knives. This is a minor point, but is something I think about realistically with a home basement shop.

I really love the idea of helical carbide cutter head in a planer (jointer too for that matter) for several reasons, so those are appealing to me. I'm ok with a jointer having it's own dedicated space in the basement, but would love to be able to have a planer that is either semi portable or on a portable base to move against the wall when I'm not using it. I've been looking into the Dewalt DW735 and adding the Byrd helical head. I'm not sure yet, but could potentially get the Dewalt new for 50-70% off retail and then buy the Byrd head for around $400, putting it at $600-700. There is a Steel City 13" model with helical head that people talk about for a little less that but I'm having a hard time finding it online right now. Maybe discontinued. Budget for a planer is probably $750 or under. Any other possibilities in this price range. What about a solid used floor model up to 15" with standard knives? Any tried and true models to look for. Unfortunately can't afford the $2k for an 18" Grizzly w/ Byrd head…

Really not sure if I need more than 13" capacity. I would probably use a 15 or 18" planer if I was doing a glue up table top or something like that and planing it in sections (that fit through the planer) but that's really just a guess. I do know that I need something that isn't a monster in order to move/roll it out of the way.

Craigslist around here is hit or miss and pretty quiet for woodworking equipment (small population.) I'm about 2 hrs from Charlotte and 3 from Raleigh, so maybe some good potential market there. I've been watching the IRS auctions for a while now, but it's hit or miss for smaller equipment like what I'm looking for and I honestly don't have the time to drive several hrs away just to check something out, then bid on it, then drive back to pick up in another trip. Could be a potential though.

I seem to have written a small novel and an intro, but I tend to get wrapped up in the details sometimes. Looking forward to frequenting this place more and learning all I can!

Any advice is appreciated and thanks for reading!

Phillip

I just bought a Jet JJP-12HH jointer/planer spiral head combo machine to replace a 6 inch jointer and a 13 inch screaming planer. I wish I could offer some experience there but I don't have it installed yet. I know a lot of people recommend a very long jointer bed but I have never seen the use for one. I cut all my rough sawn lumber to approximate size before I plane or joint it. I typically flatten pieces that are 48" or less in length. It is much more important for the work I do to flatten a board or glue-up that is 12 inches wide than one that is 8 feet long. If you see what sounds like a good deal on a used combo machine, I recommend you take a look even if the bed is short.

Phillip,
    I have the Dewalt 735 planer and like it, but it is anything but quiet. The noise is from the motor rather than the blades, so I don't think that the helical head will quiet it down much. For a jointer, I can recommend the Grizzly 8 inch parallelogram with the helical head. If I remember correctly, it is the G0490X. I don't like all Grizzly machines, but a jointer is simple and they do this one well.
    Jon

I started with a DeWalt 2 knife lunch box planer and a Jet 6" jointer and they served me well. However as soon as I bought the 6" jointer, nearly every board I bought was 7" or larger in width. So I bought a Jet JJP-12 (non HH) and thought I'd gone to heaven as it handled everything I needed to do, yet was compact.

Recently, I downsized and relocated after selling many of my stationary tools, but selling the J/P combo was a mistake and I'll be looking to replace the J/P combo machine as opposed to having multiple tools in my smaller space.

I outfitted the JJP12 with a digital readout for thicknessing and never looked back.

There are many debates about combo machines and tool brands vs dedicated tools and this forum will have a wealth of useful information, so have fun and research the vast experiences here and enjoy SMC !
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 01-24-2016 at 11:09 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Welcome to the sawmill creek.Patience is the key to finding good deals on CL.I looked for over a year to get my 12 inch jointer.I didn't find it on CL but staying on the hunt was the key.Good luck.

Where space is an issue the jointer/planer combo is a plus. I have the non-helical head Jet JJP-12 and it takes a space 2' X 5'. I built my own mobile base. Others mount heavy duty casters directly to the machine but I knew if I did that I'd be moving it by pushing and pulling on the jointer beds. That didn't seem like a good idea to me.

Hi Phillip, I suggest you look at Felder/Hammer/MiniMax jointer/planers.

I have the Hammer A3-31 which is a 12 inch jointer/planer, fantastic machine.

regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    You are right about a jointer and planer team taking your woodworking to the next level. Being able to "make" your own boards instead of taking what's available is a big step up in bringing your design ideas to reality. I prefer separate machines but, that is a personal choice. Keeping things in budget is always a challenge. I went with the Grizzly pair so many people have (g0490X and G0453Z) but. a lunchbox planer can do a lot of good work for you and I personally know a couple of pro shops that make more use of their DeWalt 734's even though large floor machines are available.

The long beds on the jointer were a priority for me. I didn't want to have to externally support a lot of stock to joint it and many shorter bed machines fell short (no pun intended) for the size of parts I frequently use. With the G0490X's infeed table at over 43" I rarely need to add roller stands or table to properly feed longer stock.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I suggest ear muffs. That's what I use. Ear muffs and safety glasses are appropriate every time a power tool is fired up.

OBTW, I practice what I preach.

My suggestion is to look at the Grizzly G0490X 8" jointer with the spiral head, and to match it with the Grizzly G0453PX 15" planer with spiral head. You won't regret either choice, and the spiral cutter head reduces noise by several orders of magnitude (I always wore hearing protection when using my DW735; I don't even know where my earmuffs are now...)

Sure, you could start with the DW735 but you'll eventually want something bigger. Or you'll get tired of the noise and think about adding a Byrd spiral cutter head and sink a bunch more money into an "ok" solution. Either way, spend a few bucks more now and save the hassle later.

If space is really a concern, a combo machine is certainly worth looking at -- the Grizzly 12" combo planer/jointer is attractive and there are a lot of times I'd like to have a 12" jointer. But the 15" planer comes in handy so many more times that I don't think I could live with a 12" planer.

Do be aware that for either the jointer or planer, you're going to need a dust collector, as both tools are copious producers of chips; lots of people like the 2HP bag collector from Harbor Freight but the 1.5HP Grizzly works great as well.

I also recommend you add a Wixey digital readout to whatever planer you end up buying - being able to dial up the precise thickness you want (down to 0.005" accuracy) is incredibly handy. The Wixey isn't that expensive either - maybe $75 at the high end.

And finally, for searching Craigslist in a wider area, you might try www. searchtempest.com - you specify search terms and a radius from whatever starting zip you want and it'll find matching results for you. It's a little slow to remove old listings, so you'll get a lot of "this post has been deleted by its author" results when you click a link. But it's helpful to find stuff on other nearby Craigslist sites without going through the hassle of searching them one at at time.

Oh yeah - and welcome to the Creek!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I suggest ear muffs. That's what I use. Ear muffs and safety glasses are appropriate every time a power tool is fired up.

OBTW, I practice what I preach.
    Yes, this. I forgot my Rx safety glasses this weekend trip to dad's. You can bet I wore goggles over my regular glasses no matter how uncomfortable.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Welcome to the sawmill creek.Patience is the key to finding good deals on CL.I looked for over a year to get my 12 inch jointer.I didn't find it on CL but staying on the hunt was the key.Good luck.
    It does take a while. To help just a CL search tip. If you set your search the way you like it then you can bookmark it and every time you click that bookmark it will redo the search. For example this is one I have bookmarked right now. (PLANER | THICKNESS PLANER) (DEWALT | HAMMER | LAGUNA | Grizzly | Jet |Powermatic | delta | rikon)
    Here's the official CL post on search tips https://www.craigslist.org/about/help/search

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Finally joined the Creek.
    There is a Steel City 13" model with helical head that people talk about for a little less that but I'm having a hard time finding it online right now.

Phillip

I was looking at that myself but I think Steel City is no more or they were purchased or something like that. Someone by me has been selling new machines on CL for almost new prices (I'm near their HQ) so I kind of think it's an old employee or something like that.

Nothing wrong with the Grizzly machines, the 15" planer and 8" jointer are fine machines. I have a 12" G0609 jointer, with Byrd cutterhead, and a G0453px planer. I had a Woodmaster 718, and the Grizzly surfaces at about 2 times the speed. If you decide to make trim, get a shaper with power feeder.

Thanks for all the replies.

Some responses….

I'm sure the JET J/P combo is a nice unit. The 2 things that come to my mind when I think about it are the actual, real time and effort it takes to change it over from jointer to planer and back. I will try to check out some videos of it in action; seems like it could be a bit of a pain at times. The other thing is the bed is only 55" long…That's really no longer than some 6" jointers. Then, there's the price, which from what I can tell is upwards of $2250 + shipping. I was hoping to budget $1750 ish for both planer and jointer.

On that note, I bet that the Hammer A3-31 is a splendid machine. I actually was looking it up a bit a couple days back, but unfortunately I don't have anywhere near the budget for it and some of the same concerns noted above with the Jet come into play.

The Grizzly G0490X would be perfect for what I want, but it's a bit over budget @ $1500 shipped. Finding a used one would be extremely rare, but possible I suppose. It seems that most people don't want to get rid of these in any sort of hurry.

Does anybody here have experience with a Dewalt DW735 w/ the helical Byrd head? Is that just too much $$ to sink into that machine even if I can get a new one for under $300? There's one (standard knives cutter head) in the woodshop at work that has a custom indeed/outfeed table built under it, but I have yet to use it as it was needing knives for a while.

I also found an '88 model Delta Invicta (brazilian made) 22-650 (13" floor stander) close by. Not sure if it's for sale yet or exact condition (haven't plugged it in or ran it) but that could potentially be an option, though I've done a bit of reading today on it and it seems changing knives can be a bit of a challenge. It appears that it can be fitted with a Byrd helical head, but at what cost I'm not sure. This unit is nice and heavy and seems like a tank.

I'm quite familiar with SearchTempest and use it often…though it is frustrating to see one of the only promising results pop up with "this page has been deleted by its author"….

I've been looking at jointers for sale for nearly 2 years, though not always with a hard intention to buy as I am now, but I certainly realize that it can take quite a while to find what you're looking for on the used market with some of this stuff. That, combined with the time and possible hassle of driving and checking out used equipment is the main reason I'm considering new, but I can't really afford what I truly want new.

Just to be clear, I do have a 2hp HF dust collector that I just bought and will set up before I get a jointer / planer. And I'm a firm believer in ear and eye protection, so no worries there I may be new, but I'm not a total newbie.

As far as making trim, I guess I should say that it's not really molding. Just square, flat stock that needs to be properly milled.

I think I know what I want, really it just comes down to waiting for the right deal to come along….really I'm just making sure I'm not missing anything by checking in with you fine, educated folks. I suppose it's off to CL, auctions, and word of mouth until it falls into place. Maybe I can find a screaming deal on a decent old planer and splurge on a new helical head jointer.

Thanks again and keep anymore suggestions rolling in.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 01-25-2016 at 9:11 PM.