Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Safe ?

I like how a first poster shows up and asks an unclear question, then we go back and forth all day when we really need to OP to give us clarifications. Come on!

First off let me thank everyone their replies. Mr. Day this is my first post. I have been clearing snow most of the day and many other things. This is the first chance I had time to sit down and reply. Please excuse me for being so rude. Joe spear you had a great idea that I would never have thought of, sliding the fence back. Rich I do have a track saw and use it very often. I buy my plywood sawed in 3 sections 31" ( I am old and lazy) and can haul it under my bed cover and keep it out of the weather. When in the shop I rip it into 11" wide pcs. And need to cut them to 30"

Glenn, the idea of using a 3" block is good. If I don't slide my fense back this is what I will do. The only reason I didn't want to use a block ( I will admit was being lazy ) I guess it all falls back to my favorite saying, If it don't feel right don't do it.

Randy, I meant that jokingly for those of us who put some time into this thread without all the information needed. I'm sorry for being so rude.

Use a registration block. I have one within easy reach of the table saw using these clamps on them for easy attaching.
    http://www.rockler.com/universal-fen...QH0aAgd58P8HAQ

Quote Originally Posted by randy lovelace View Post
    Glenn, the idea of using a 3" block is good. If I don't slide my fense back this is what I will do. The only reason I didn't want to use a block ( I will admit was being lazy ) I guess it all falls back to my favorite saying, If it don't feel right don't do it.
    Randy, the primary reason to slide the fence back rather than using a block is because one of the benefits of the UniFence (and similar movable fences) is that they maintain distance accuracy with the "scale on the rail"...no mental math to calculate the thickness of the block vs what shows on the scale and the resultant increased risk of a "boo boo". It only takes a moment to unlock the fence to change its position. This is a benefit for "standard ripping", too, as you can end the fence just beyond the blade (with a splitter/riving knife) to release pressure and potential binding for "lively" material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...