Thread: Experience Portable Dust Gorilla or other small footprint DCs?

Experience Portable Dust Gorilla or other small footprint DCs?

I am looking to set up a dust collection system in my small shop (11' x 17') and trying to find the smallest and most efficient cyclone DC system. I will be installing it in a permanent location, with the longest duct running about 17' (max) overhead and then a 6' drop down the wall terminating in flex tubing to my table saw. All other duct runs will be shorter than that. Im thinking 6" for the main runs, and 4" or 5" for the drops.

Ive been looking around a ton and notice the Oneida Dust Gorilla Portable, either 2 or 3 hp. http://www.oneida-air.com/inventory....-189ACD0BC2E4} I spoke to the CSR at Oneida and he agreed that the portable gorilla would save on needed floor space and still have enough suction to handle my saw at that distance. He explained that one of their V series, though more powerful, would take up too much room.

So, does anyone have experience with the portable gorillas? How have you liked them? At $1500+ it is not an investment I want to jump right into. With that in mind, why not go with the Grizzly G0703, Laguna, or Jet cyclones?

Whichever brand you go with get a 3hp or larger. Or you will be having to upgrade like me. I started with a 2hp cyclone, and it is just not quite big enough for what I do. The short cone cyclones do not perform as well as the long cone designs, so that leaves out the Laguna and others like it. Oneida, Clearvue and others have the long cone design. Think Grizzly also has the long cone.

I replied to your message but will add a bit here.

My 2hp dust gorilla has no issues pulling chips from my planer (which is the furthest) that is about 20' plus or minus and an additional 3' of 4" flex hose. All other machines are closer and no issues pulling from them as well.

Depending on your needs, the 2hp may very well be enough for you but if you have the extra cash for a 3hp then by all means, go for it.

For all other feedback, refer to my message.

If anyone else has any feedback or recommendations, I would definitely enjoy hearing them.

I am supposed to get my 2hp Portable Dust Gorilla delivered tomorrow. It will take me a few weeks before I have time to get it up and running. I can PM you after I get it running and give you feedback. I'll be using a 10ft flex hose to hook right to the machines. will be using it for a 12 inch planer/thicknesser, table saw, bandsaw.

Porter
    Here is a link to my dust collector upgrade. Mine is a very simple, by the seat of the pants, visual evaluation, and I am very happy with it. It's been a few months but I will tell you I have no desire, or need, to upgrade my setup. It does what I need it to do. I hope it helps you with your decision

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...nfused-like-me

That would be great, I am definitely interested in getting your take on the quality, performance, and value of the unit.

Hey Craig, have you gotten the portable dust gorilla up and running yet? What do you think?

I am finishing up my shop electrical (rough in inspection tomorrow), and nearing the need to pull the trigger on my DC setup.

Just curious, I have a V-3000 and I was wondering why Oneida and you decided that the V-3000 would take up too much floor space? From the V-3000 spec sheet (page 3) (LINK) the footprint is 47"L x 32.5" W, where as the Dust Gorilla Portable per its soec sheet (page 4) (LINK) says its footprint is 48"L x 33"W. Pretty much exactly the same. Was the height an issue? Thats only 11" difference (V-3000 is taller) when comparing the 3HP versions in each model.
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 02-29-2016 at 5:37 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I am definitely not decided on the Oneida, but think that it might be the best fit.

I'm looking at the portable over the V-series because I will end up wall mounting it and connecting it to ~20' of 6" duct. I am hoping to tuck it into the wasted space next to my garage door and the perpendicular wall in my tiny (11' x 17') one car garage. From what I can tell, once you remove the portable base from the portable gorilla, the footprint decreases significantly.

If you or anyone have any other suggestions though, I am all ears. Just needs to be 220v comparable and have enough suction to handle a table saw after ~20' of duct in total. I was also thinking about the Grizzly G0703 because its a normal price and has tons of features, but seems to lack in the suction needed. Honestly, the Oneida looks like the highest quality unit available but their prices are really upsetting.. Charging $1500 and then having the nerve to tack on another $300 for shipping is ridiculous when your competitor's pricing is $1200 (MAX) and comes with free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Porter Friedman View Post
    I am definitely not decided on the Oneida, but think that it might be the best fit.

I'm looking at the portable over the V-series because I will end up wall mounting it and connecting it to ~20' of 6" duct. I am hoping to tuck it into the wasted space next to my garage door and the perpendicular wall in my tiny (11' x 17') one car garage. From what I can tell, once you remove the portable base from the portable gorilla, the footprint decreases significantly.

If you or anyone have any other suggestions though, I am all ears. Just needs to be 220v comparable and have enough suction to handle a table saw after ~20' of duct in total. I was also thinking about the Grizzly G0703 because its a normal price and has tons of features, but seems to lack in the suction needed. Honestly, the Oneida looks like the highest quality unit available but their prices are really upsetting.. Charging $1500 and then having the nerve to tack on another $300 for shipping is ridiculous when your competitor's pricing is $1200 (MAX) and comes with free shipping.
    The Grizzly G0703 (LINK) isnt even in the same ballpark as any of the Oneida youve mentioned. Definitely stick with an Oneida no matter what you do.

Now, going back to what you were saying. Wall mounting. Is there a wall mount kit for converting one of the Dust Gorilla Portables? Also note that if there was and you did that it would be a very heavy unit to hang on the wall as its all metal. The Oneida V-Series I do know has a wall mount and is a lot lighter as its made of molded resin. Maybe something to think about if your going to hang something like this on the wall.

Regarding shipping, call them and ask if any deals are going on. I did and after working with one of their sales engineers for a bit on a V-3000 and five drop ducting design I was offered $50 for shipping for the dust collector and free shipping for all ducting and accessories as well as some discounts on the accessories I bought. Not saying youll be able to get the same, but it certainly never hurts to ask.

Regarding price, youll love this. Oneida announced at the end of January come the middle of the year all dust collector prices are going up. They sent the email out to all previous customers as far as I know. I got a copy and called to get more info.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!