Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a saw blade recommendation

Looking for a saw blade recommendation

I need to buy two 10", regular kerf circular saw blades. I'm looking for rip blades, 40 tooth or 24 tooth, although I notice freud has a 30 tooth blade they call "glue line rip" whatever that means.

For my current needs, the smoothness of the cut surface isn't important, however a smooth edge certainly could never hurt. Can anyone recommend good quality carbide blades that will take several sharpenings at the best price ?

I like the Forrest WWII 40T for a general purpose blade that beautifully rips stock less that 5/4 and a Systematic 24 tooth is my go to for ripping thicker hardwoods.... That said....

The absolute best bang for the buck (IMHO) is from Cripe Distributing's ebay store. The Delta 35-7657 40T General Purpose blade rips stock less than 5/4, crosscuts and cuts plywood (I'm gonna say it) almost as well as my WWII. If you want a ripping blade to process wood as fast as you can feed it, the Delta 35-611 18T Ripping blade rips through thick stock, framing lumber and pressure treated wood like no other blade - and the finish for an 18T blade isn't half bad either.

The 35-7657 is $18 and the 35-611 is $21 from Cripe Distributing - shoot them a message before you order and they will combine shipping (think I paid $50 even for both blades shipped the last time I ordered).

Hopefully Scotty, our resident blade guru (who turned me onto the Delta 35-7657 years ago), will chime in as he has first hand experience with a plethora of blades and has never led me astray with a blade recommendation.
    Last edited by Todd Davidson; 01-25-2016 at 11:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Yonak,

Here's the one I use. I have been quite happy with it! http://www.infinitytools.com/10-Ripp...tinfo/010-024/

No relationship other than a satisfied customer.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I would imagine that there are several blades that will work, however I have used an older 24T FTG Freud (full kerf, no red coating) that has been sharpened numerous times over the 20+ years I have owned it when I have lots of hardwood ripping to do. It really does leave glue line cuts if I pay attention to my pushing through the saw blade.
    David

I use the glue line rip you mention and it does a great job. Actually like it more than the Forrest blades I have and it costs about half.

I have several 24 tooth Freud industrial glue line rip blades and love them. They also have plenty of carbide to resharpen. I also use them for flat bottom 1/8" cuts for splines.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The 30T GLR blades like the Freud LM74 with a triple chip grind (TCG) are recommended for up to 1" material, and they give an admirably smooth surface in that capacity. They won't leave a perfectly flat bottom. If you plan to rip anything much thicker, the 30T GLRs are more prone to burning so you'll still want an 18T to 24T flat top grind (FTG) bulk ripper like the Delta Industrial 35-611 (best bang for the buck), Infinity 010-024, Freud LM72, Amana Tools RB1020 or CMT 201.024.10. Performance should be similar between the FTG rippers...24T should leave a slightly smoother cut than an 18T or 20T, but at the expense of more resistance. The Amana or the Infinity will likely have the largest teeth, but all have ample carbide and will rip well up to 3" or so.

The Delta Industrial 35-7657 40T @ $18 that was mentioned will also rip very cleanly to ~ 1.5", and maybe 2" depending on the material and your saw....it'll be smoother, but more likley to burn in thicker materials than the 18T to 24T rippers. Its an awesome deal. Note that when you get to 40T blades, most are ATB grind. The Forrest WWII 30T ATB is an option that will rip very cleanly even in 2"+ material, but will cost a bit more.

Which one is best depends a lot of what you want to do and your saw.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 01-26-2016 at 6:42 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Hi Yonak, I use 2 FS Tools rip blades, both 24 tooth.

They have very large carbide teeth for many sharpenings and one of the blades is the XL4000 which is a long life carbide tip which reduces sharpening frequency.

They rip all thicknesses of wood with ease............Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    These questions always get a varied and active response. There are so many correct answers but, many may be sub-optimal without enough information. What materials and what thicknesses? What is the type (cabinet, hybrid, etc.) and power rating of your saw?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

glenn, I am ripping 1-3/4" ash with a Jet JTAS-10 cabinet saw with a 3hp motor. Thanks.

scott, thank you for all that great information.

Scott is to blades as Pat Warner is to routers.....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=chart
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    glenn, I am ripping 1-3/4" ash with a Jet JTAS-10 cabinet saw with a 3hp motor. Thanks.
    In that case I too would recommend a good 24 tooth ripping blade. All the brand recommendations above are good. Any more teeth you might have burning.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Yonak-

I have that 30 tooth glue line rip blade from Freud.

It's fine.

I don't think you'll have any issues with 3hp on 2" ash and a 30 or 24 tooth rip blade.

I've started shying away from 40 tooth general purpose blades. I do all my ripping and cross cutting with the 30 or 24 rip blades. If I need it to be cleaner, I tape. I hate changing blades. If you're a lazy and don't even change the blade for dados as I don't, then you better zci that back edge or it'll blow out.

I have the Delta 40 and 18 tooth blades mentioned above. I also have an Onsrud 24 tooth that i got when ebay was blowing them out. I have a WWII which i regret i paid so much for with all of these lower cost solutions i know about now. I actually have about 4 of the Delta 40 tooth. There is one of them on my saw most of the time. I want to try a Freud but Delta is working just fine.