Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IBM Model M keyboards

Blog Entries

IBM Model M keyboards

Have you ever used one of these? If so, then hopefully you will understand my passion for them and my dislike for all others.
    For those who are not familiar with Model M keyboards, these were originally developed by IBM to be used on the old IBM Selectric typewriters and also on their mainframe work stations. These were heavy duty industrial strength keyboards using what is called a buckling spring key. So when IBM came out with a PC they used this same technology for the keyboard. There is absolutely nothing that even comes close to the solid feel of of the keys and quality and heft of these keyboards.

My beloved Model M that I have used on literally every PC I have ever owned in my life (that's about 30 years worth) had the space bar key die. The model M is still being manufactured by a company called Unicomp and they have brought it into the modern world by making it with a USB connector and added the Windows key to the layout, but somehow it is just not the same.

So after doing some internet research, I decided to try to fix it. And do the "IBM Model M keyboard nut and bolt mod". (Google it)

Would anyone be interested in hearing about my journey down this path? (It is still going on BTW)

This probably will not interest those that think keyboards are not important and any old $15 keyboard will do.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I guess they're great if you can stand the noise! (I couldn't and converted to something quieter as soon as I could.)

Part of the solution to a chronically sore elbow was to go over to a split keyboard, and there are darn few of those that are useable; I babied my original Microsoft Natural through many generations of computers.

If you have a keyboard you like it is definitely worth repairing. I'm sure you've found the companies that specifically recondition the IBM model M. They have quite the following.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I guess they're great if you can stand the noise! (I couldn't and converted to something quieter as soon as I could.)
    The "noise" doesn't bother me at all, in fact I kinda like it. It's more like music to me. It's the "mushyness" of the "quiet" keyboards that I can't stand. "Different strokes for different folks"
    People that are high speed typists (not me) tell me that they can achieve their highest speeds with less typos on a model M.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 01-26-2016 at 1:03 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    It has been over six years, but when I was working and using AutoCad I loved my keyboard with at least 20 programmable extra function keys and they had a nice click to them. Just can't remember the brand. They ran about $150.
    NOW you tell me...

My favourite keyboard.

I won't mention how much I paid for a Korean IBM keyboard 'cause I had to have it --- it's still at my desk in my den.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    The "noise" doesn't bother me at all, in fact I kinda like it. It's more like music to me. It's the "mushyness" of the "quiet" keyboards that I can't stand. "Different strokes for different folks"
    People that are high speed typists (not me) tell me that they can achieve their highest speeds with less typos on a model M.
    Give up Larry. Many of us that started our relationship with computers in "heavy iron" shops just have a different view of these things. I loved those old metal housing, clicker beasts ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have both the 84 key and 102 key versions. Both have detachable cords and I have both DIN and ps2 cords. My longtime favorite keyboard is a Wang that I've had since the early 90's.

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    I have both the 84 key and 102 key versions. Both have detachable cords and I have both DIN and ps2 cords. My longtime favorite keyboard is a Wang that I've had since the early 90's.
    Ah! Here's a guy that knows his Model Ms. Actually the one I am refurbishing has the non-detachable PS/2 cord and was made in the UK. The one I am typing on now has the coiled detachable cord and was made here in USA. It does say "Made by Lexmark for IBM" though. Mfg date of 16-SEP-94. That's almost 22 years and it still looks and works like the day it was new.
    Larry J Browning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Give up Larry. Many of us that started our relationship with computers in "heavy iron" shops just have a different view of these things. I loved those old metal housing, clicker beasts ;-)
    Oh, I know! The young bucks around here where I work just don't get it. A keyboard is just an after thought to them. They would rather have one that is wireless and all lit up with pretty lights and a thousand buttons and wheels. The quality of the design and workmanship is lost on them.
    Larry J Browning

I know exactly how you feel Larry. I may have missed the original model M, but joined the party soon after. Computers cost between $2000 and $3000 with the keyboard as the primary interface to the user. It makes sense to have a really good keyboard at that price point. I like the solid mechanical feel, but could live without the noise.

Steve

Go for it, Larry! Personally, I hate the noise a keyboard makes as I find it quite distracting but I'm a sensitive guy according to my wife (and not in the right areas according to my wife!) I have to ask all my neighboring cube mates to turn their speakers off whenever they starting buzzing, dinging, ringing, etc. for things happening as they work on their computers. It drives me bonkers! Even my phone is silent for typing and most things.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Go for it, Larry! Personally, I hate the noise a keyboard makes as I find it quite distracting but I'm a sensitive guy according to my wife (and not in the right areas according to my wife!) I have to ask all my neighboring cube mates to turn their speakers off whenever they starting buzzing, dinging, ringing, etc. for things happening as they work on their computers. It drives me bonkers! Even my phone is silent for typing and most things.
    The keyboard "noise" is the sound of work getting done. If I don't hear it then you must be just staring at the screen. Maybe in deep thought, but more likely watching another silly cat video on youtube. (or in my case, reading an SMC thread)
    Larry J Browning

I learned to type on the old Selectric typewriters. In fact I loved it when my mother bought one with the auto-correct on it so I didn't have to keep pulling out the white tape. My first computer was IBM XT so I presume it had the keyboard you are talking about. Progressed up the chain to an IBM 55, so on and so on. My first laptop was a Compaq with a green screen.

Yeah, I miss those solid keyboards too. I also like to hear the letters click as I type. It allows me to look elsewhere while I type and not at the screen. Used to drive my old boss crazy that I could type while talking and looking at him.

Working in software and then 3D modeling/animation I was extremely particular about my keyboards. My efficiency was MUCH higher with the right keyboard. When I found one I liked I bought a lifetime supply of spares. I have also taken apart and repaired keyboards many times - it is usually a mechanical issue and not an electrical problem.

Once when a key quit working found a bug in the switch - literally. I have no idea how that tiny moth got inside but it sure did keep the switch contacts from closing.

JKJ

Hintz will probably lose his lunch if he see this...

I live by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it- or clean it, or anything-else-it" rule... And while the old M keyboard may be a gem,
    what can you say about this 1989 Cherry, that's been used nearly every day since I got it -came with one of my
    3 New Hermes Vanguard engravers. I used to clean it once in awhile, but it's been at least 10 years since the last time.
    I still have the other 2 keyboards, and they work fine, this one has gotten so bad to look at that it's become an experiment
    in longevity! But as bad as it looks, the thing works better than any of my wireless keyboards. It simply refuses to quit working!
    And every key still works, even the one with the missing "Del Line" keycap! If I DID clean it, I'd probably kill it...

DSC04635.jpgDSC04637.JPGDSC04636.jpg

I have a question: who's bright idea was the "chiclet" keyboard? I can't think of a more useless piece of computer hardware...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle