Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I-Tunes Scam

I-Tunes Scam

I got an email from 'I-Tunes' today saying that my account had been charged over $50 for some music. As I don't buy music from I Tunes, some red flags started showing up.

I did click on the link that said "click here if you want to reverse these charges" which I did (stupid I know) and it took me to a site about a executive realty site, plus a bunch of gobbly gook, and a form to log in and confirm my credit card on my account.

That's when I called a stop to it, went and googled I-Tunes and in talking to the guy in the help line phone, found out there was not any charges at all and that it was a phising scam.

Even knowing of these things, I almost went for it because it looked so real all the way through, until I noticed the web address it went to

I'm thinking they will catch some, especially those who use I Tunes...

Sad
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I get that kind of stuff all the time. Oh, my iTunes account has been compromised? Well, since I don't have one, that's fine with me! No reputable company will ever contact you via e-mail, they will call you or send you a registered letter. Ignore them otherwise.

Instead of clicking on ANY link, mouse over it and read the real link at the bottom of your browser.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

This stuff just makes me so upset. Right now, having a decent mind, I don't get caught off guard too easily but, I have a mother with alzheimer's, who lives in an assisted home and these scammers are always after her. Her daily helpers and my brothers and sisters keep her from being scammed (she can't make a financial decision on her own, no access to credit cards) but I know there are other elderly people being taken on a daily basis. I wish I could get my hands around the neck of some of these people.

Blog Entries
    Just think of all the folks who think their kids ran up the charges and pay the bill only to have their credit info possibly used fraudulently.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    I got an email from 'I-Tunes' today saying that my account had been charged over $50 for some music. As I don't buy music from I Tunes, some red flags started showing up.

I did click on the link that said "click here if you want to reverse these charges" which I did (stupid I know) and it took me to a site about a executive realty site, plus a bunch of gobbly gook, and a form to log in and confirm my credit card on my account.

That's when I called a stop to it, went and googled I-Tunes and in talking to the guy in the help line phone, found out there was not any charges at all and that it was a phising scam.

Even knowing of these things, I almost went for it because it looked so real all the way through, until I noticed the web address it went to

I'm thinking they will catch some, especially those who use I Tunes...

Sad
    I guess its worth repeating never to follow a link in an email. But their phishing efforts do trap a lot though.

I have a mother with alzheimer's, who lives in an assisted home and these scammers are always after her. Her daily helpers and my brothers and sisters keep her from being scammed
    Not to drift too far astray...but...
    My mother in law's brother is in a coma & in a nursing home. The nursing home went through all his money, then presented my mother in law a bill for $48,000.00 & told her they might be able to arrange some terms of payment for her - but- the bills were mounting very fast.
    She had to sign some sort of release ASAP to get the ball rolling on the payment terms.

My wife and I were over for a visit as she and my father in law were scrambling around trying to come up with all the documentation needed to apply for ""the terms"".

My wife asked to see the letter, read it, then tore it up and told her parents to let the nursing home know that my mother in law's brother was an adult and he was the only one responsible for his debts.

They're (scammers) out there everywhere these days it seems....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    This practice perpetuates because people open junk mail. Why would someone open ANYTHING that they are not specifically expecting? Do they really think some random mailing is going to benefit them? My email filters allow NOTHING except what I specifically allow. It takes a couple of months to get all the "accepts" built up but, after that, life is pretty easy. If someone needs to cold-contact me, there are other ways to do that. Any business that thinks that sending me an email serves as proof that I was contacted is out of touch. If folks keep falling for it, they'll keep sending it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hopefully, that's all the scam was. when you clicked the link, you may have loaded malware on your machine. CryptoLocker is the most notorious of recent history. Once loaded it sits benign until activated (not sure how that part is done). Never click on the embedded links or attachments unless you know it's a trusted source.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

when you clicked the link, you may have loaded malware on your machine.
    Hopefully so. I think I have decent malware and anti virus (so my computer geek tells me) so finger crossed.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I find the scams entertaining in addition to being irritating. So far in this early part of 2016 I have received pfishing scams for 5 compromised bank accounts I don't have, warnings about 2 email accounts about to be closed if I don't "verify", one eBay scam, one on Amazon, an IRS demand for money or I'll go to jail, some hot stock tips, some offers to cut me in on an overseas inheritance........ and a partridge in a pear tree.

Ain't the internet fun?
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Dave....in the event that you don't send the IRS money and end up in jail, post an address here so I can send you a cake on your birthday!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    Hopefully so. I think I have decent malware and anti virus (so my computer geek tells me) so finger crossed.
    You missed the point. No matter what Anti-virus/malware you have installed, it can still be infected.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Instead of clicking on ANY link, mouse over it and read the real link at the bottom of your browser.
    Awhile back, year or so, I got some bogus email from "Paypal". I've been with Paypal since their first week in business, and I know what I will and won't get from them via email. This email wanted information that Paypal never asks for...

However, this was probably the best pseudo email I've ever seen. Hovering the link brought up "https://www.paypal.com" as the website. The logo and text was picture and pitch perfect, no "please check for your account closed vacant asset click link!" language. My Avast couldn't find anything wrong with any part of the email.

The trick to it was found in the mail source headers. I'm not all that bright on what all that mumbo-jumbo means, but I was able to find where the actual web address was spoofed to show up as Paypal's address. From a hacker/scammer point of view, it was brilliant. I'm sure they nailed quite a few people just because the link showed the correct address...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

My employer actually uses a service that sends fake phishing emails to employees for training purposes. If they click on the link or open the attachment they get a webpage that comes up that that is supposed to train them not to click on links in real phishing emails. If an employee falls for the fake emails too many times they might be required to take a short training class on how to avoid being phished.

The funny thing is we had to make an exception in our email security to allow these emails through. Our email security was deleting the emails as spam, as it should.