Thread: Bookmatched Walnut Bench

Bookmatched Walnut Bench

New year, new project, new chisels.

Took the wife on a lumber run, she found the slab in the corner. Originally planned on a side table, but being 16/4, bookmatched it into a bench.
    IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg

Resawing took almost 2 hours with a 5 pt rip.
    IMG_0177.jpg

Framed in oak.
    IMG_0515.jpg

Wenge butterflys.
    IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg

Slabs are dadoed into the frame with a dowel in the front and back to allow for horizontal wood movement (hopefully).
    IMG_0519.jpg

Its been a little over a year now since I got into woodworking. Started knowing only the big box stores, thinking power tools were king which was when I got my first set of chisels, transparent yellow handles and all. Much has changed since then and my foray into hand tools has escalated quite quickly with several "upgrades" to my chisel set with the most recent foray being Japanese chisels from Stu. I think I might have a problem...
    IMG_0560.jpg

Very beautiful piece - nice work! Better you than me on the resawing.

I like it, that's a cool looking unique bench. Respect on that resaw!

Your wife has a good eye. I have a feeling your in for a lot more projects.

Really creative use of the material and a very attractive result.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Zuye Zheng View Post

Took the wife on a lumber run, she found the slab in the corner. Originally planned on a side table, but being 16/4, bookmatched it into a bench.
    IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg

Resawing took almost 2 hours with a 5 pt rip.
    IMG_0177.jpg

Framed in oak.
    IMG_0515.jpg

Wenge butterflys.
    IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg

Slabs are dadoed into the frame with a dowel in the front and back to allow for horizontal wood movement (hopefully).
    IMG_0519.jpg

Its been a little over a year now since I got into woodworking. Started knowing only the big box stores, thinking power tools were king which was when I got my first set of chisels, transparent yellow handles and all. Much has changed since then and my foray into hand tools has escalated quite quickly with several "upgrades" to my chisel set with the most recent foray being Japanese chisels from Stu. I think I might have a problem...
    IMG_0560.jpg
    As a chisel fanatic, I approve one hundred percent.

That piece is fantastic. People tend to give short shrift to the base on slab tables. I think the base is the most important part. It's so difficult to make one that (in my eye) matches the slab well. I really love your base. The details and size and proportions are just spot on to me.

And that's such a great presentation of the slab. I am noting this for future projects.

How long did you let the slabs acclimate after resawing?

Its been a little over a year now since I got into woodworking.
    . That's bonkers. The work I've seen of yours is tremendous—and must be equal to the amount of hard work you've committed during the time. Cheers to you.

And ditto everything Prashun says about your base. To add, through mortises in oak make my heart warm. Plus, that the bench's shape resembles the imprint of a large bottom makes it particularly welcoming. The piece is clearly a bench that's beautiful—not vice versa, if that makes sense.

This I'm curious about. Mind explaining why your went with wedged dowels over screws mounted some way underneath in elongated holes? Are your dadoes overly wide?
    (Not trying to challenge here, just learn).

Thanks for sharing!

I would be afraid to sit on it; it's so beautiful ;-)

If I tried resawing that thing, my elbows would never stop hurting. Mad props.
    "I am always doing what I can't do yet in order to learn how to do it."
    - Van Gogh, 1885

Blog Entries
    [edit for brevity]
    Just a year? You must have a natural talent for this. The bench is gorgeous. Congrats on the hand resawing.

If you saw my chisel accumulation you wouldn't worry about having a problem.

Did you find the slab in a lumber yard in San Francisco? I knew of a few places there along Bayshore Blvd.

In Berkeley I used to get a few things form McBeath on Ashby. There is also Truitt & White near 2nd St. & Hearst.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for all the support, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    That piece is fantastic. People tend to give short shrift to the base on slab tables. I think the base is the most important part. It's so difficult to make one that (in my eye) matches the slab well. I really love your base. The details and size and proportions are just spot on to me.

And that's such a great presentation of the slab. I am noting this for future projects.

How long did you let the slabs acclimate after resawing?
    I was actually too excited to see what was inside and didnt think of acclimating it until you mentioned it.. Resawed same day I think.. Probably would've been good to do so. The slabs are actually not too flat and semi sculpted, mostly from the saw wandering and partially by design, so hopefuly any cupping or twist won't show.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dima View Post
    This I'm curious about. Mind explaining why your went with wedged dowels over screws mounted some way underneath in elongated holes? Are your dadoes overly wide?
    (Not trying to challenge here, just learn).

Thanks for sharing!
    I usually do turn buttons to mount my table tops with an elongated mortise, but I thought the dowel and wedge would look nice as an accent with the butterflies and I was tired of chopping mortises at that point so just busted out the drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Just a year? You must have a natural talent for this. The bench is gorgeous. Congrats on the hand resawing.

If you saw my chisel accumulation you wouldn't worry about having a problem.

Did you find the slab in a lumber yard in San Francisco? I knew of a few places there along Bayshore Blvd.

In Berkeley I used to get a few things form McBeath on Ashby. There is also Truitt & White near 2nd St. & Hearst.

jtk
    My usual place is MacBeath near Bayshore since I don't have to cross the bridge, but was in Berkeley already that day so stopped by PALS in Oakland. Nice place, lots of species I've never heard of, reclaimed stuff, and random stuff like the small slab. A little cheaper I think too.

Very nice work, great looking bench. What finish?
    David

Blog Entries
    Nice work!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.