Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comcast, you gotta love to hate them

Blog Entries

Comcast, you gotta love to hate them

I renegotiated my package, wanting to ditch my phone in favor of rolling my home security into a "triple play". My home security 3 year deal was about to go up $10/month so I ended up with the phone at no cost in a "quad play" deal, saved $40 per month and they doubled my internet speed to 150 mbps. Down side, techs have been to the house 5 times in the past 3 weeks. But I got a new X1 box with voice remote, a new battery in my security touch screen and a new all-in-one gateway that now rocks wireless. I actually get better speed tests with wireless than wired. Go figure.
    NOW you tell me...

It sounds like you had the same sort of install service from Comcast I had. It took at least one tech visit and about ten phone calls to get my cable TV and Internet working when I moved.

My service has been pretty much rock solid since the install got figured out. I did have an issue with losing two channels due to signal strength issues and Comcast had someone out the next morning to fix it.

Blog Entries
    Can you imagine what would happen if the Time Warner Comcast merger had gone through!!!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Comcast does seem to have a lot of bad techs.

I absolutely hate them. Every phone interaction I've had with them has been poor at best. I have had a couple good techs come to the house though.

They were rated as the worst company in America a few years ago, they have done everything in their power to earn that distinction. I would rather drop a anvil on my foot then deal with them.

It is great being done with Comcast and only using another providers WiFI and an antenna.

Blog Entries
    I wish my viewing tastes went to broadcast stations only, but I need my Science, Discovery, DIY and History channels even more than the usual network drivel. Well except for NCIS, Blue Bloods and a few other good shows.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Update: I have been trying for years to get a bundle that didn't have the phone and channels I didn't need. Finally got the Preferred triple bundle (230 cable channels w/hi-def and the X1 box, Home security and the 75 mbps internet). Saved $50 per month. Still paying $168 per mo. They tried jacking my previous pricing even though I had a contract until next year. Gave me a $50 refund until their "Broken Promises" department could figure the total refund. I am sure I will be fighting them for months to get all the credits straightened out. And this was only a week after they told me what I had was the minimum I needed to get what I wanted. More online research and talking with neighbors got me the information I needed to tell them what I wanted. I had to work with the folks in home security, who are located in Spokane WA, so I didn't have to deal with robots at an offshore call center. So I finally cut the land line, cell phones only from now on. YeeHa...
    NOW you tell me...

We switched over to Comcast/Xfinity after many years with AT&T. Before AT&T, we had Comcast and I swore I would never ever go back to them.

Well they convinced me to give them another chance and so far, I've been relatively happy with them. I was given some misinformation regarding their supplied gateway and such but we got it figured out and I was refunded all the money I felt was warranted but it STILL takes a bit of effort to right the ship. What kind of gateway do you have, Ole? I was supplied with a Cisco something or other but I bought my own Arris TG862G. I either need to learn how to tweak the Arris better or go back to the Cisco because things don't seem quite as fast with the Arris.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

In the Northern Kentucky area Time Warner just got bought out by Spectrum. Hopefully it will be better than Time Warner was and better than Comcast is for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Can you imagine what would happen if the Time Warner Comcast merger had gone through!!!

Blog Entries
    Chris, mine is a dual band Arris TG1683g 42 MHz upstream. Modem/router/with phone capability. I was consistently running 180 Mbps down before I downgraded my service. Much better than the previous Arris all in one. It is branded Xfinity (Comcast) and runs $10/mo. Seems like every time I buy a router to save the monthly charge, it gets outdated about the same time it has paid for itself.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-27-2017 at 9:36 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    In the Northern Kentucky area Time Warner just got bought out by Spectrum. Hopefully it will be better than Time Warner was and better than Comcast is for you.
    Not looking forward to changing all my emails again and updating everywhere i use emails as conatact info.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Chris, mine is a dual band Arris TG1683g 42 MHz upstream. Modem/router/with phone capability. I was consistently running 180 Mbps down before I downgraded my service. Much better than the previous Arris all in one. It is branded Xfinity (Comcast) and runs $10/mo. Seems like every time I buy a router to save the monthly charge, it gets outdated about the same time it has paid for itself.
    Great! Thanks for that information. Yeah, the wife is on my case to get the Cisco back but near as I can tell when I tried to buy my own, it wasn't availalbe so I went with the Arris I have. Now the Cisco was dual band (2.4 and 5 GHz) but the Arris is not (2.4 GHz only) so I'm wondering....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I think Time Warner just changed their name. See here. Looks like Charter is part of Spectrum, also - a merger with Time Warner.

My guess is that the Time Warner name had so much negative connotation that they wanted to get rid of it. A lot of people won't recognize that Spectrum is the same people (and company) as Time Warner was. My wife had Time Warner before we were married. She told me she'd do without TV before ever taking Time Warner again.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.