Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello All its steve again ...HELP

Hello All its steve again ...HELP

Well i made my very first cut with my new to me craftsman 113. 12 inch wood lathe today i only have 2 chisels that came with the lathe so i cant do much as of yet but i hope to jump in both feet ! it is awesome i love it I've never used a lathe before so I feel like a kid at Christmas! ...and as usual I have a problem the motor stopped spinning after an hour or so it still comes on and sounds like its running fine but the shaft does not spin at all its a pretty old machine and i made sure i oiled the bearings before i used it on both oil plugs i also looked as best i could in the vents and it seems to be dirty inside It was also fairly warm to touch .Could that be it? do i just wait til it cools? or is my motor broken the first day i used this lathe . I am very sorry i keep bother all of you with the new guy curse but this is now where i turn when i have any wood related issue and i would appreciate any help anyone could give thank you all again S.

I would take it to a motor shop and have them go through it. It is probably something fixable and not cost that much. That way when it's done, you will be good to go for a long while.

well I hate to admit this to everyone but it was the belt it seems when i take the belt off the pulleys the motor spins like a top , but when i put it back on ...it slips but the belt feels really loose so I'm not really 100% sure what that means but I'm certain its my error , I am going to try and adjust the motor and see if that fixes the issue as always thank you all for looking out for me ,and trying to limit my new guy mistakes thank you

do the bearings in the headstock spin freely with the belt off?

Yes Sir they do smooth as silk , and while i thought it was the belt i tried making it tighter and that didn't work either. is there a sweet spot or something that i just haven't gotten right?

can the belt be changed to different pullies for different speeds if so there must be a handle or something to tighten. If its just the belt slipping I would just get a new belt it may be worn or stretched.
    If you have the model # you may be able to download a manual for the craftsman parts site for free do a web search

Its an older craftsman 113.228162 12" wood lathe with a pipe holding the tail stock, the pulleys are these 4 on the motor and 4 on the spindle no lever ,you just have to pull the belt and roll the pulley .it doesn't seem like its slipping just that it stays still when i turn it on ,but when the belts off the motor moves great so thats gotta be the belt right either way I am very grateful for the advice sir thank you

In case you don't already have it , you can download a pdf copy of the owner's manual for that lathe . http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs...l.aspx?id=7056
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Thank you very much sir ,yes I have a copy of the owners manual ,but I can't seem to locate anything on the topic of belt tension other than how to change speeds

10. If the motor turns,but when the belts is on it slips.Might want to check the locking pin that holds the head stock shaft from turning..I know my pulleys came loose awhile back and even when it was in the unlocked position it would catch and lock.I adjusted the pulleys back to where they were suppose to be and tightened the set screw.Just a thought...............

Page 8 number 13
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

On a side note I can see why you all call it the vortex it stopped working around 10 pm last night and I've been at it ever since thinking if new ways that this free lathe is going to cost me money ,in the hour it worked I had a load of fun with it though so there's a bright side !

I would have someone check the motor out or see if anyone you know has a similar motor you could borrow to try on it. If the pulley on the headstock spins freely by hand , the belt is not slipping nor over tensioned then the issue is in the motor. How big is the motor and is it a craftsman motor ?

Everyone has been so incredible here I love this site best thing that ever happened to my woodworking !!! That being said I am a moron I'm just gonna throw that out there I've been working on this lathe all night long and the issue was a set screw that held the motor pully on the motor shaft!!! I never even considered that since I didn't actually feel that part that it could be loose! Thank you all so very much for your time and effort truly that you !

The belt is tensioned by moving the motor back. Once the lathe and motor is mounted you would pull the motor back and it will tighten the belt. The 2 pulleys need to be lined up like the manual says.

It may be worth to buy a new belt and go through the manual set up process.
    Don