Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kraft or Butcher Paper

Kraft or Butcher Paper

My stash of heavy paper (not sure what it was) that I used to protect my bench when doing glue-ups is just about empty. I'd like to mount a roll dispenser / cutter at the end of my bench. Something similar to: http://www.amazon.com/Bulman-A50030-...ulman+serrated

Questions:
    1 - what kind of paper do you find works the best for glue-ups: Kraft, Butcher, other?
    2 - do you have a similar roll dispenser that you could recommend?
    3 - other tips or suggestions?

Normally I'm too impatient to pause and ask about this kind of stuff, but I'm not in a hurry so might as well get your input.....

I use red rosin paper
    just because it is readily available at lumber yards
    Carpe Lignum

I have no experience with this but I would think butcher paper would be best because it is waxed on one side and nothing would stick to it.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

rosin paper from big box store. cheap and works well

Check with your local sign shops. The transfer paper used for cutting vinyl signs is a great product. And Free... It has a shiny surface on one side which glue doesnt adhere to and paper on the other side. I use it daily in all kinds of situations with finishes, epoxy, under my wet stones during sharpening. Recycling it is cool too...

Quote Originally Posted by bruce buren View Post
    rosin paper from big box store. cheap and works well
    +1. Readily available at HD.

Edit - the rosin paper I get at HD comes in 36" width. The paper cutter in the Amazon link is 30".
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 01-30-2016 at 8:38 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I use the heavy duty brown paper that I get at HD. It is cheap and works well for me.

I bought a 36 inch roll of brown kraft paper and the dispenser/cutter from MSC years ago.

I mounted the dispenser just above a window near my assembly table... convenient yet out of the way.

Mike

Rosin paper for sure. Cheap and effective.

Since its temporary and you're not going to peel the glue off you don't need waxed like butcher paper. Unless of course, you do.

Go to a big box. They sell rolls of rosin paper that contractors use to protect the floors of new houses. The paper allow them to walk on the floors without damaging them. Make your own roll dispenser.
    Howie.........

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    When I had my shop, I used to use white butcher paper I bought in Sams Club. They used to sell in 2 different widths. I bought the wider ones They served me well in my commercial woodworking shops for 25 years of finishing and gluing. Paper was cheap so I was I was not cheap with it. At one time I even made a paper cutter. Waste of time. Just pull the paper at 90* to the roll at it will tare. Not a clean cut but the glue didnt know the diference. When masking, I would put tape down first then use the paper to protect the rest of the surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    I use red rosin paper
    just because it is readily available at lumber yards
    This for me as well ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    +1. Readily available at HD.

Edit - the rosin paper I get at HD comes in 36" width. The paper cutter in the Amazon link is 30".
    Lowes has it available in 18" widths.

If you have an autobody supply house near you, you could get everything you need. You would ask for masking rolls- they come up to at least 3' wide, and they make the bracket or stand to mount it in and tear it off. Reasonably inexpensive, as it is a body shop consumable. I have been using it for about 15 years.
    Personally, i cant stand rosin paper for much of anything, as it tears and balls up waaay too easy when things are slid around or abraded on top of it.
    The masking paper has the perfect working characteristics for what your asking.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    If you have an autobody supply house near you, you could get everything you need. You would ask for masking rolls- they come up to at least 3' wide, and they make the bracket or stand to mount it in and tear it off. Reasonably inexpensive, as it is a body shop consumable. I have been using it for about 15 years.
    Personally, i cant stand rosin paper for much of anything, as it tears and balls up waaay too easy when things are slid around or abraded on top of it.
    The masking paper has the perfect working characteristics for what your asking.
    It's funny, I went looking for this at local suppliers and while every single one of them said how wide the rolls are, none of them ever said how long. That's bizarre.