Thread: Spoon Carving Knives

Spoon Carving Knives

I am wanting to buy a spoon carving knife. I am leaning toward either the Mora 163 double edge from Amazon or a spoon blade from Deepwoodsventures and make my handle. I know there are many brands out there but these two are what I narrowed it down to. Anyone with experience using either of these. I am open to other brand suggestions also.

I thought there was more interest in spoon carving on this forum. Sorry about that. I did order the blade from Deepwoodsventures.

Same question

I came here looking for an answer to exactly the same question. I bought the Mora a year or two ago, and I've had so much trouble using it that I've still carved only one spoon. I have also seen lots of criticism of the Mora hook knives elsewhere. Their sloyd knives seem very popular, but not the hook knives. I had not yet seen the Deepwoods Ventures knives. Would you recommend it? What size did you get? To save a few bucks, I'd probably buy the blade only and fit it with my own handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Vivian View Post
    I thought there was more interest in spoon carving on this forum. Sorry about that. I did order the blade from Deepwoodsventures.
    Michael Ray Smith

I've carved a bunch of spoons and bowls over the past few years, all in green maple (or at least it started green but some dried out when I left them in rough state too long). I usually use large carving gouges (like 30mm #3 and #7 pfiel gouges) for the inside of the bowl instead of hooked knives. I made two hook knives out of decent steel and have used them - one is about 3" long (2" to the bend) and styled after the Mora and the other is shorter, about 2" (1 1/4 to bend) and slightly less "hooked". My observations would be that the longer Mora-style knives would be best suited to easier-to-cut woods and that it would be best if the wood was fairly green/ wet. In my opinion, the longer blade with that curve near the far end requires a lot of leverage from your wrist and fingers to cut a decent shaving, especially when roughing the shape, so you want the wood to be easier to cut. Drier/ harder wood would require you to take thinner shavings both to save your hands/ fingers and to get a nice smooth cut, so if you're rough shaping it would take all day. The shorter blade is much easier to use - looking at Deepwoodsventures blades, I'd start with the small knife and see if bigger is really needed.
    Karl

I have both. Get the Deep Woods Ventures.

First post here, but I like the single edge Mora, can't remember the number, better than the double edge blade, 163. I like being able to push on the back of the blade.

I ordered the blade only small from Deep Woods Ventures. It was recommended to me by a couple of carvers on other wood forums. I will be glad when it gets here.

I have a hook knife from deepwoods. Great knife. I also have a North Bay Forge double edge deep bent knife (the mini) and a Mora 2" straight knife. All of them are excellent tools. If i ever gather the money together, i would like to get a NBF regular double edge bent knofe as well.

spoon carving is most excellent.
    Paul

Thank you for the recommendation for Deepwoods knives! I had not heard of them and they look really nice.

Del Stubbs is making carving tools > http://www.pinewoodforge.com/

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer