Thread: Quality furniture makers

Quality furniture makers

My wife and I recently moved to Central PA and it will be a while before I have a new shop set up. I've also admitted to my wife (and myself) that I can't build every piece of furniture for our house. So we are doing some shopping for dining room furniture. We are looking for a table and chairs as well as a china/buffet cabinet. But I could use some suggestions as far as furniture makers go.

I am familiar with Stickley and we have found several pieces that we like. I know the quality is there and it is all made in the US. But are there other choices? We want something in cherry (probably) and like simple lines (almost Shaker-like).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dave

David,
    Your location still displays Maryland, where in central PA are you located?

chris
    chris

Hey Chris,

I just updated my location. I'm in State College also!

-Dave

try this...

www.pompy.com

Pete

Welcome to the area! It's a beautiful area to live in.

chris
    chris

David, welcome to "Pennsyl-tucky!" And State College is a very nice town to be situated in, although be sure you have some good winter duds! (I spent 4 years in "Happy Valley" from 1975-1979...)

The Stickley catalog has a lot of wonderful cherry pieces. I particularly like the Harvey Ellis designs including the sideboard. Thos Moser has some extraordinary selections in designs you will likely enjoy, but it's a whole 'nuther level of price range... The link that Pete gave, which was a new one by me, has attractive furniture styled as you describe...quite impressive!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the welcome!

Actually, my wife and I are returning to State College. We met while attending PSU. So we are familiar with the area and the winters!

Yes, the Thos. Moser stuff might be a little out of our range. The Stickley items are about the limit. Mind you, we are fine with the Stickley offerings. It's just always good to consider options.

-Dave

A family friend owns this business, my parents have toured his factory with him. All hardwood furniture (gorgeous), made in Vermont. I have absolutely no connection, other than knowing the family for 30+ years.

http://www.copelandfurniture.com/

He started (literally) making furniture in his garage...

From the "About Us" link:

With a vision to create a family owned and operated enterprise, we set out in the early 1970’s to make wood products from natural hardwoods. Initially, we made cider-presses for home and small-scale orchard use. From there our designs evolved into butcher-block kitchen furniture and Adirondack-style porch furniture, items that were functional and affordable for baby-boomers as they furnished their first homes.

During our many periods of growth, we have changed from a one-man operation in an old garage in East Corinth, VT to a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility located on the banks of the Connecticut River in Bradford, VT. Using a combination of leading-edge computer technology and traditional craftsman technique, we have created an enterprise that is embedded in our local community, a place that provides a fulfilling work environment for the men and women who come to work here every day.

The continued evolution of our furniture designs has coincided with a resurgence of appreciation for designs from the Arts and Crafts, Mission, Shaker and Scandinavian movements. Today, our aesthetic continues to be strongly influenced by these creative movements as well as the surroundings here in Vermont.

Vermont’s culture has historically placed a high value on preservation as witnessed in the many small villages dotted with architectural gems in the form of houses, libraries, and churches. These understated, well-designed structures inform our creative sensibilities each and everyday. Our furniture is best characterized as transitional, neither strictly contemporary nor traditional but rather a combination of elements that incorporate classic proportion with modern simplicity.

For 29 years, Copeland Furniture has sought to stay loyal to its mission to produce furniture for discerning consumers who have an appreciation for good design, quality and value. We have also worked hard to stay loyal to the New England tradition of quality craftsmanship. Our work ethic embraces the belief that continuous improvement is ultimately what best serves the customer. So we strive to meet your expectations and make the best furniture we possibly can.

How coincidental. I really like the copeland furniture. I'm in the process of building the Sarah Sleigh Bed. The two tone with maple and cherry.

chris
    chris

David,
    You may want to check out these sites for out of this world quality furniture. ****holder is an Amish group that uses all solid QS wild cherry on some of their furniture. They also have the choice of Pine, Oak, and Maple on most of their pcs. I have never seen furn. this beautiful, even on custom made furn. The prices were in the $4-5000 range for a hutch/buffet combo. It has been a couple of years so I don't know how they compare today.

The Tom Seeely and Gat Creek's furn. are quite spectacular on their own. They are slightly more modern than the traditional ****holder

Hendersons Furn is a place that carries all three lines in addition to a few others. It might be a good place to start looking if you want super high quality furniture like you'd make yourself. It might also scare you into making your own (who knows?).

http://www.hendersonsfurniture.com/

http://www.tomseelyfurniture.com/

http://www.****holder.com/av/

http://www.gatcreek.com/products.html

No, I don't own stock in these co's and they aren't owned by my brothers (in the background you hear him say..."Martha lay out my black suit and get Isiah to lash up my horse and buggy so I can go into town (Toledo ha-ha))

Best of Luck,
    Dick

A few that come to mind - one is the Shaker Shop in Lititz, PA.

http://www.shakershoppe.com/TSShome.htm

Also these guys:

http://www.greatwindsorchairs.com/

Both traditional styles, and I'm not sure what the prices are these days at the Shaker shop.

I would also ask around in happy valley - I'm sure there are a number of local people making furniture up there.

Good luck, Wes

Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies. The shops out in Lititz seem to offer some items that are close to what we want. I like the tiger maple tables.

-Dave