Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traded in a few planes I wasn't using...

As for those holes in the side? They are threaded as 5/16" by 18. Common enough size. Picked up a couple bolts at HD, had a couple washers on hand. Molested a bit of walnut scrap with a #78 rebate plane to add a rebate .
    IMAG0059.jpgIMAG0060.jpg
    But it needs to be a hair deeper, to reach over to the mouth. Rounded the ends, and an oil finish
    IMAG0058.jpg
    Rounded the ends to keep my fingers from getting caught.
    IMAG0056.jpg
    Seems to work decently enough. Might get even better after the fine tuning?

HD did not have any Thumb screws, so these cap bolts will have to do, for now. Takes a 1/4" Allen wrench.
    We'll see how it works out....
    IMAG0057.jpg
    Takes a bit of getting used to, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    There are a few things to indicate a type 9, 1902-1907, this kind of seals the deal:

Attachment 330793

Type 7, 1893-1899, was before the 1902 patent dates, Bailey's name cast into the body, or the style frog on Steven's plane.

It also displays some of the indicators of being early in the type 9 era.

jtk
    You're right of course. I've never heard of a type 9 with a Sessions foundry mark before, but the patent date clinches it as you say.

As many have pointed out the types are a post-facto classification scheme, not something Stanley created on purpose, so there's no reason to expect that real-world planes would conform perfectly.

Right now I am using a #5, #6, and #8 to joint with deending on what I am jointing. I really could use a vintge Stanley #7...

If I can't wrestle one fo the #7's way from Steven I will ahve to go on another rust hunt with him. THe #6 he found me is fantastic......think I am in love!

Regards,

Chris

Oh, and again....steve can find amazing things. I love the rosewood vintae Stanley sqaure that we found, for $3.50....dead square, using it quite regualrly in my shop.

The two Distons I found with Steven will both find good use as well.

Blog Entries
    Nothing like having a good rust hunting buddy and a fulfilling hunting ground.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)