Thread: Cherry Sphere

Cherry Sphere

Picked up a used Marvin Stoltzfus sphere jig (predecessor to the Carter jig) from Dick Gerard recently and got some time today to use it for the first time. Couple kinks to work out process wise but overall, pretty impressed with the results. Solid one piece of cherry that the sphere ended up just shy of 3.5" and finished with walnut oil. Nothing special about the figure of the wood, I'm just delighted to make a perfect sphere. I do okay freehand on the right side of the sphere but seem to always screw-up the left side. Anyways....looks like a nice little sub-vortex to fall into and expand with by adding some embellishment.

Cherry Sphere 1.jpg

David, what size of blank did you start out with, to end up with a 3.5" sphere? Will you be embellishing it in any way, plus would it be possible for you to post a pic of your sphere jig?
    Len

Len,

I bought a bunch of 16' cherry planks a few years ago that were 16/4 at an auction. Pretty sure they were at least 50 years old but turned out to be the pith cut boards. Didn't really notice their condition when I bought them but for the most part the pith and the associated cracking that come with these type of planks was located on the top surface. After slicing and dicing them up, ended up with a bunch of pretty decent blanks. Sold some and kept the others so after a little more effort than anticipated, ended up with some pretty decent stock.

I'm traveling this week so most of my pictures are on my other laptop but my jig is a hybrid between Marvin Stoltzfus jig and the one Carter Products sells now. My understanding is that Marvin sold the rights to his jig to Carter. Mine looks like the bottom half from Marvin's old video and the top half of the current Carter model that allows for turning the cutter 15 degrees for shear scrapping.

Here's a couple links. 1 for Marvin's video and 1 for Carter. I'm going to get my D-Way beaders & burning tips out on these after I make a few more more and get comfortable making them and then maybe hollowing/piercing a few after that. Nice tool bought used at a much reduced price for someone like me that will probably make less than 100 of these over my lifetime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy7mIoU-bFU

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/138/6589/Carter-Perfect-Sphere-Tool-with-Riser-Stud?term=carter

Len,

Here's a couple pics you asked for. I've got Marvin's plain black top plate and one that Carter sells that I think is a little easier to make sure everything is centered. This unit has 1/2" bolt as a swivel pin and I think the current Carter has 3/8". Did a couple spheres today from some existing glue ups I had laying around. 2.5" poplar and 4" oak.

Sphere Jig 1.jpgOak & Poplar Spheres1.jpg

David, thanks for taking the time to post these pics for me, I really appreciate it.
    Len