Thread: Not seeing "Attached photos" on iPod Touch

Not seeing "Attached photos" on iPod Touch

Hopefully this hasn't been asked and answered, but I didn't see it mentioned in the past several months or in a site search.

I'm on the aforementioned iPod, which is running the latest software for iPhones, and I'm always logged in.

I can see photos in a lot of posts when on the iPod, but in many others there's just the words "Attached photos" and a paper clip icon at the end of a post, but No photo visible, either in the default mobile or full site mode. No problems with my iMac. The browser (Safari) puts no limits on attachment sizes.

Should I be able to view all attached photos on an iPod/iPhone? If yes, does anyone have an idea what might be blocking them?

Bump? Anyone?

Sorry, not familiar with the iPod touch. The only problem I have seen with viewing photos on an iPad has been when the outside hosting site the poster linked to has been down for maintenance. I think this happened on one of Brian's recent threads.
    other than that, they just appear . . . . . Except on some very OLD posts, and again I assume it is the loss of a link to the hosting site.

Blog Entries
    I am seeing the same behavior on my Nexus 7 tablet. My theory is that it has more to do with the mobile browser interface and not necessarily the brand of device you are using. I have always been too cheap to spring for the paid app that links to the BB software (Road Runner I think it is called). I just don't use my tablet to view SMC that much, so I haven't sprung for it. I would if I used it more.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm experiencing the same problem with my iPhone (running iOS 9.2 with safari).

EDIT: Neither the iPhone or Android ForumRunner apps has been updated since 2013, user reviews indicate the developer doesn't reply to inquiries, and there have been no developer announcements or responses on the developer's website forums since 2013. They'll still gladly take your $1.99, though.

So unless there's someone on SMC's staff (assuming there is a staff) who can help, I guess we mobile users are on our own.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Sorry, not familiar with the iPod touch. The only problem I have seen with viewing photos on an iPad has been when the outside hosting site the poster linked to has been down for maintenance. I think this happened on one of Brian's recent threads.
    other than that, they just appear . . . . . Except on some very OLD posts, and again I assume it is the loss of a link to the hosting site.
    In terms of browsing and operating system, the Touch is identical to the iPhone (the iPad is slightly different, I think). Either way, though, these are current posts, so it's not about broken links or hosts that are down for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I am seeing the same behavior on my Nexus 7 tablet. My theory is that it has more to do with the mobile browser interface and not necessarily the brand of device you are using. I have always been too cheap to spring for the paid app that links to the BB software (Road Runner I think it is called).
    I think you're right. I just confirmed that both of the browsers on my Droid4g have the same problem as Safari and Chrome do on the Touch.

It occurs to me that there are two ways to put photos into a post when I'm on the desktop, so maybe one of them shows up on mobile platforms and the other doesn't. Next time I'm on the desktop I'll do a test post on this thread to see whether I'm right about that. Not that it would solve the problem, but it just bugs me not to know why I can't see so many pics.

I paid for ForumRunner for a different forum a long time ago, but I uninstalled it because it was clunky and a real memory hog. I may give it another go, though, because these days I usually browse the forums on one mobile device or another. Or maybe I'll just get a desk chair with proper back support...
    Last edited by Lenore Epstein; 02-04-2016 at 5:50 AM. Reason: New info

Quote Originally Posted by Lenore Epstein View Post
    EDIT: Neither the iPhone or Android ForumRunner apps has been updated since 2013, user reviews indicate the developer doesn't reply to inquiries, and there have been no developer announcements or responses on the developer's website forums since 2013. They'll still gladly take your $1.99, though.

So unless there's someone on SMC's staff (assuming there is a staff) who can help, I guess we mobile users are on our own.
    Lenore,

Considering that only a very small percentage of our Members are willing to help out with the costs to operate a site the size of this one and that all of our woodworking forums have free access its impossible to employ full time people to provide support for over 99,000 woodworkers. There is a Staff here, three of us are part time and all of our Moderators are volunteers......we do the best we can. Without the financial support of our Contributors the digital doors here would be closed in a matter of just a few days.

Right now we are working on several items, the most important is the configuration of a new server that will magically appear shortly, when that is accomplished we will see where our efforts will be best applied over the coming days, weeks and months.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-05-2016 at 1:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Lenore,
    The fact that the mobile interface is not as full featured as the full PC browser interface is just a fact. It's not a good thing and it's not a bad thing, it's just a thing. If you want the full feature list you are going to have to use a PC and not a mobile device. I think this is going to be true with any forum on the web.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Lenore,
    Considering that only a very small percentage of our Members are willing to help out with the costs to operate a site the size of this one and that all of our woodworking forums have free access its impossible to employ full time people to provide support for over 99,000 woodworkers. There is a Staff here, three of us are part time and all of our Moderators are volunteers......we do the best we can. Without the financial support of our Contributors the digital doors here would be closed in a matter of just a few days.

Right now we are working on several items, the most important is the configuration of a new server that will magically appear shortly, when that is accomplished we will see where our efforts will be best applied over the coming days, weeks and months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Lenore,
    The fact that the mobile interface is not as full featured as the full PC browser interface is just a fact. It's not a good thing and it's not a bad thing, it's just a thing. If you want the full feature list you are going to have to use a PC and not a mobile device. I think this is going to be true with any forum on the web.
    Thanks to you both. I'm aware that keeping up with a site that has as much traffic as SMC is largely a labor of love even for paid staff, and I'm sorry that I sounded critical. Being an impatient and selfish person I simply expected an instant answer to my tragic tale of woe. I have been on forums with fully-functioning mobile sites, but such software is probably more pricey and/or takes more maintenance.

You might want to post a sticky somewhere about ForumRunner's problems, though, because I do remember reading forum posts, probably old ones, saying it works on SMC. You're not responsible for somebody else's app's quality, but I'd certainly be flustered if I bought the app based on an outdated recommendation here when every single App Store user comment over the past two years shows that the developer has completely abandoned it.

But that's just a suggestion, and I'll gladly defer to your greater wisdom. And thanks for doing all that you do.

Lenore,

Our vBulletin software is one version behind right now because we are in the process of configuring a new server. Our server administrator decided not to upgrade to the current version and then have to do the upgrade again on the new machine so he decided to wait. I hope that at least some of the problems people are having will be resolved with the software upgrade but I haven't seen the specs on the latest version of vBulletin so I don't know what to expect yet.