Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drill press table elevation

They have come up once in a while for the 1150 on ebay. I haven't been able to catch one though, and use a tongue jack on mine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    I like that except for the part where I bend down. I appreciate the input folks...I was hoping someone would tell me about a business selling old ww machines and parts.
    Did that model ever come with an elevation crank? The elevation mechanism is often part of the casting that hold the table and surrounds the column. For an actual crank mechanism to work this is pretty much required so original parts would be the way to go if they ever existed. The alternative is a bolt-on like the jack shown, a weight that slips into the column (I don;t know is the Easy Riser is still available) and uses pulleys to ease the weight of the table for manual positioning or some other sort of "invention".
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    There was a company that made a lift mechanism but I think they went belly up. It's very hard to find the oem mechanism.
    The other option is a counterweight system and you wouldn't have to bend down for that.
    Anybody have any pics of a counterweight system?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Endres View Post
    Here's one I've used: Plaza Machinery in Bethel, Vermont. www.plazamachinery.com

I was able to find a head-raising mechanism for my old Walker-Turner DP, which I adapted to the table instead. It does not give me a large range of movement but it works.
    Looks like he has the elevator setup for a 15" Powermatic DP available right now.

I have a 1970's era Powermatic 1150 that does have the crank mechanism for the table. It was an option and works well. You should be able to lift the table and position, depending on the table you have, but if you want the crank try Scott Redmond: http://www.redmondmachinery.com/old-powermatic-parts-1/

Or post a WTB on OWWM.org.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Did that model ever come with an elevation crank? The elevation mechanism is often part of the casting that hold the table and surrounds the column. For an actual crank mechanism to work this is pretty much required so original parts would be the way to go if they ever existed. The alternative is a bolt-on like the jack shown, a weight that slips into the column (I don;t know is the Easy Riser is still available) and uses pulleys to ease the weight of the table for manual positioning or some other sort of "invention".
    My thinking is that drill presses come in a variety of column sizes. What I need to do is find a column size identical to mine and get the table and other parts and retro fit them to my drill press.

You all have offered some good sources and ideas. Thanks.

I attached two screen door springs to the table. Other end attaches to a rod up by the head of the unit. The springs are under tension always. Loosen the table, apply a little up pressure at the front edge of the table, then ease the table up or down, applying the force near the column. It isn't perfect, but it works a lot better than nothing.

Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by ken seale View Post
    Anybody have any pics of a counterweight system?

Google something like "Powermatic drill press counterweight" and use the image search.

I move the head instead of the table.

20140816_110307_zpsjx81emli[1].jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I move the head instead of the table.

20140816_110307_zpsjx81emli[1].jpg
    Neat design, I would like to see the size of the counterweight that fits inside the column, could it be lead?
    NOW you tell me...

It uses a spring for a counterweight. That thing will bite you when installing it if you aren't careful.

counterweight.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night