Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best book Neanderthal style?

"Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking" contains lots of hand tool things, but he also has some non-hand tool stuff.

Someone already mentioned "Hand Tools Their Ways and Workings" by Aldren A. Watson. Nice book

If you can find a copy of "The Joiner and Cabinet maker", that might be of interest. Yes, Lost Art Press.

I recommend the book "Success with Joints" by Ralph Laughton. It is all hand tools and joints.

Oh yes, and look at Mortise and Tenon Magazine.

Blog Entries
    I paid a visit to Lost Art Press today to check out the Hayward's work collection. While I was there I found "The Anarchist's Design Book" and ordered a copy. The bound version is apparently still at the printer but I got the download and checked it out. The wife and I have been looking at cabins in the Blue Ridge mountains and I have been looking for simple basic furniture designs, something a little more stable & comfortable than the popular local furniture made from actual sticks & limbs, sometimes with the bark still on. I took Schwarz's class at Highland Woodworking on making staked saw benches. I believe the book evolved from that class and a couple ideas Chris had for making simple furniture. The book focuses on "Staked Furniture" and "Boarded Furniture". I am enjoying the simplified designs and methods. It is hard to argue against designs/techniques/methods that have stood the test of time.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 02-03-2016 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Oh yes, and look at Mortise and Tenon Magazine.
    I plan to start with them next, been to busy to order a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    I paid a visit to Lost Art Press today to check out the Hayward's work collection. While I was there I found "The Anarchist's Design Book" and ordered a copy. The bound version is apparently still at the printer but I got the download and checked it out. The wife and I have been looking at cabins in the Blue Ridge mountains and I have been looking for simple basic furniture designs, something a little more stable & comfortable than the popular local furniture made from actual sticks & limbs, sometimes with the bark still on. I took Schwarz's class at Highland Woodworking on making staked saw benches. I believe the book evolved from that class and a couple ideas Chris had for making simple furniture. The book focuses on "Staked Furniture" and "Boarded Furniture". I am enjoying the simplified designs and methods. It is hard to argue against designs/techniques/methods that have stood the test of time.
    While not a hand tool book per se building Shaker Furniture by Thos Mosier was a good start for me in the craft. I plan on getting the lost art press stuff as soon as my addiction to using every spare cent for actual lumber subsides...