Thread: Anyone have a Bosch GCM12SD Miter Saw

Anyone have a Bosch GCM12SD Miter Saw

I am curious to hear people's opinions on this saw. I just bought one from Acme Tools and got a pretty good deal I think. I principally bought it because my shop is very tight and I have need to back the saw as close to a wall as possible. The glide system on the saw intrigued me, and most reviews on it were very positive. I would love to hear from folks who have one and can share their thoughts on how they like it. I get mine Tuesday, weather willing.

Thanks all!

Joe

I used to have one. I sent it back, because both sides of the fence were offset from each other by .040" . I dont know how or why, but it had to leave the factory that way, i assumed poor quality control. It was not bent, as i checked it with a precision straightedge.
    All that ^^^^ to say, check the saw over very carefully for accuracy before you toss the box or receipts. The glide mechanism is very sweet, but useless on an inaccurate saw.
    Hope your's is better.

Just as another resource, did you read through the Amazon reviews on it?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Several of us here with the 10 inch version, there are several threads in which it is discussed.... For me it has been the best tool I have purchased in years. No quality issues with the one I own.

Robert

Amazon had pulled their reviews. They claim it was because they were describing it incorrectly. Thqat is an interesting thing. I did see that, but I also saw a bunch of other very positive reviews that I put some faith in. I will see if I can find the other threads.

JB

I own that model and I like it just fine. I did have to adjust the angle a little to get the best precision. I think it is unrealistic to expect every piece of equipment to be 100% calibrated, regardless of how it was handled prior to sale. I have had to do this kind of adjustment for most of the other bench top or stationary power tools I have bought, regardless of brand. Detailed instructions are in the manual if needed. Whether you choose Bosch or some other brand, I recommend buying a specialty blade that has a negative hook angle and is made specifically for a SCMS.

I have the 12" version and really like it. Mine seems to be completely accurate.

I really like the way it sits on a narrow bench in a small shop and still allows cross cuts up to around 14" deep.

Steve

When they first came out, I saw one at a trade show and asked the Bosch rep about durability. He picked up a 2x4 and started beating the crap out of the glide system.

I've had the chance to use one that had been in service for a decent amount of time and had no issues. The glide system felt smooth. I was running crown molding and baseboard and like the Bosch better than the Makita 10" slider that I own.

i bought the 12" to replace my kapex thats another story
    first thing i did after unboxing it was to place my straight edge on the fence and table fence was true table wasnt but close enough
    next thing i check was to see if it needed adjusted crosscut a 12" wide board and was shocked at how bad the cut was placed a chopmaster blade on it and tried again turns out there was so much play in the arms that it cut an s in the board returned it and bought a dewalt great saw

This was pretty close to my experience with this saw, which was early in production. Major issue with the table being the same height as the wings and slop in the glide mechanism. Interesting the fence issue wasn't there on the two I tested before giving up. Horrible blade and required a Tenryu Miter Pro Plus to cut smoothly but still not precise at all. I've seen some very positive reviews from some people that seem to be knowledgeable so I assume Bosch must have some major quality control issues. Blatant lying about dust collection capability, which some people have made acceptable by adapting parts from other manufacturers pieces and adapting. Plastic miter stops while claiming stainless steel miter stops, which turns out to be only the top part.

FWIW, I have an older 10" Bosch non-slider that is really excellent.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 02-01-2016 at 9:32 PM.

I had a 12" DeWalt slider that I bought in 2000. I still have it but came across a great deal on a new 12" Bosch in 2015 and it cuts just as well as my DeWalt does. I did put the DeWalt blade on it though. The Bosch blade made a rougher cut.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

The variation of reviews is interesting and somewhat troubling.

I've read / watched many reviews stating that the dust collection is excellent.

I have a bunch of miter saws in dedicated cut off benches in a manufacturer. Each saw has a dedicated vac and 1-7/8" short hose. We also tried and returned a few other saws including a Bosch Glide 12" when they first came out.
    Everyone could be better but I would guess efficiency at:
    90% Kapex
    85% Ridgid MS1250LZ, Makita LS0714
    80% Dewalt DW713
    75% Bosch Glide
    70% Dewalt DW715
    50% Dewalt DW717, Hitachi C10FSB
    30% Dewalt DW712, Makita LS1214

Sadly, the most precise saws that will cut wider stock are the German Kapex, Japanese Hitachi C10FSB, and Italian DW712. The first two are expensive and the last is ancient history. Don't confuse the Japanese Hitachi with the Chinese ones that are half the price. The DW717 is close but is very dirty and just discontinued. Makita LS0714 is a great combination if you don't need to cut tall stock as blade is 7-1/2". Its as clean as the Kapex on narrow stock.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 02-02-2016 at 11:27 AM.

I have one. I have discovered through experience that if I am doing heavy pushing and pulling it is relatively easy to push the arm out of the set alignment and pooch up the angle. When I use a light touch and "let the tool do the work" it is dead-on accurate.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey