Thread: Chain Hoist

Chain Hoist

Looking to add a chain hoist to the shop.
    One ton is all I will ever need (I think) But a two ton hoist is only $20 more.
    Any reason not to get the two ton? for example- too big to lug around, harder to use or????????????
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

The mechanical advantage is greater on a 2 ton than 1 ton and will require more chain pull if that is an issue, but will require less pull power and slower movement for greater ease in setting load height.

I've had a 1 ton for 45+ years and have never needed more. I have pulled a Duramax with transmission and had no problems. A 2 ton is slower heavier and a pain to lug it around. You also need a stronger pulling point.

Blog Entries
    More important than price is what will the overhead support. Never put more hoist than the supporting structure will support, because someone will try to lift what the hoist is capable of without knowing that the structure can't support that much.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks everyone,
    Looks like 1 ton is what I will get.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale