Thread: Installing a Kitchen Island over tile

Installing a Kitchen Island over tile

My Father-in-law has suggested (him paying) and helping me perform a face lift on my kitchen. I will ignore many of the issues with money and similar and state:

The primary intention is to install a full size dishwasher. The easiest path (last amount of work) seems to be a prefab island in the middle of the kitchen that can contain a dishwasher. He would like that He and I do the majority of the work and then pay a professional for things such as plumbing.

Although I can trivially build things such cabinets, this type of build is outside what I usually do and I expect that there are numerous places where I could unknowingly go wrong (like get the size of the dishwasher hole wrong).

The floor is real tile that is in good shape. He discussed pulling the tile to put something that is easier on my feet. I told him that is probably just extra work and expense since there is nothing wrong with the existing floor (but my feet do not like standing on it without my shoes). I do not have any idea who to secure a cabinet to a floor with tile. Is the proper procedure to trace the cabinet then cut the tile so that it can sit on wood, or do you just secure it to the tile floor somehow?

Is this crazy? off hand, it sounds like it is a doable project.

he is also suggesting refacing the cabinets, but that is a question for another day!

Just take a 2x4 and screw it down so the outside edge is going to be touching the inside edge of the cabinet, the cabinet will now be sitting over it and you won't see it. I usually do this on both sides of the island. Then either use some finish screw or nails to attach the bottom of the cabinet to the 2x4. No need to remove any tile. Dishwasher openings are 24" I usually make then 24 1/8 though because it seems like somehow throuout a project that opening will find a way to get smaller on you.
    Last edited by keith micinski; 01-31-2016 at 10:08 PM.

If you intend to screw the 2x4 into the existing subfloor(wood) take a tile drill bit and bore through the tile(oversized) at screw locations, or other method, plug, toggle etc.into the tile
    You'll need to feed hot water line, drainage and appropriate electrical circuit to the island as well. Standard size DW hole is, as mentioned, 24" wide and sized to fit under countertops supported by the cabinets typically 34-1/2 ht. clear.

I actually prefer to set cabinets on top of finished floors, helps with cleaning and water damages.

You will want a "finish floor" in the DW opening, so leave the tile. I do as Jamie suggested, but in small pieces so my "ladder frame" toe-kick does not interfere with the floor cleat. (alternatively you could make the ladder frame to accommodate the floor cleat) It really doesn't take much to secure an island to the floor. Gravity, friction, and the weight of the island are all working in your favor.

Make sure you have enough depth (front-to-back) for the DW (typically 24" min.) and plumbing/electrical hoses and cables. It's often better to put the rough plumbing/electrical in the cabinet bay next to the DW, not in the DW opening itself (so you can access the shut-off valve and the plug without pulling the DW).

Only thing I would add to the above good suggestions is know ahead what DWModel you are installing. Bosch DW for example has a 23- 5/8" min opening and so a 24-14" RO is a bit big. Once you decide the DW and have the model # (better to buy it and have all the documents that come with the machine but) you can download the specs for install which includes the cabinetry/plumbing/electrical needs.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Had not considered that I should place the plumbing next to the dishwasher, or at least it should be accessible.

So, I should probably first choose the dishwasher. I will need to hire a plumber, of course, and I will most likely need a permit because of that and the electrical.

I really appreciate the information.

Now I need to start worrying about materials to reface cabinets.

When you talk to the electrician, check to see if local code requires an additional outlet for the island, two circuits might be needed.

What Tom said. We hired our kitchen remodel done. I was shocked that local code required an outlet on the island. My wife loves it! When using the island to serve food, she can plug in warmers or slow cookers without an extension cord.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-01-2016 at 11:31 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ewell View Post
    When you talk to the electrician, check to see if local code requires an additional outlet for the island, two circuits might be needed.
    I believe that current code in my area requires that the dishwasher has its own circuit. It had not occurred to me that code require that the island has an outlet, but frankly, I would want one regardless.

Again, I appreciate all of the pointers.

When I re-did my kitchen I had the tile laid wall to wall and put cabinets on top - base cabinets all sit on adjustable legs - made it easy to level and the toe-kick is removable as it is just held on with clips that attach to the base cabinet legs. I really like being able to access under the cabinets if I want - run new low voltage wiring, dry out a leak, inspect the dishwasher plug & drain hose, etc. I used the same system for the island - after everything was located where I wanted it I just put a bolt on either end through the tile.