Thread: Protein powders

Protein powders

I've been instructed by a clinic I go to to get more protein in me. I have liver & kidney disease that is eating up the proteins in my body. Lost 35 lbs in less that 2 months. I am being treated but it's been a long road so far...I've been drinking the Ensure shakes but they have a lot of sugar, salt & potassium in them....So i'm looking for a powder that might not have the sugar, salt & potassium.....To be honest I don't really know what I'm looking for...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    I've been instructed by a clinic I go to to get more protein in me. I have liver & kidney disease that is eating up the proteins in my body. Lost 35 lbs in less that 2 months. I am being treated but it's been a long road so far...I've been drinking the Ensure shakes but they have a lot of sugar, salt & potassium in them....So i'm looking for a powder that might not have the sugar, salt & potassium.....To be honest I don't really know what I'm looking for...
    GNC has Wheybolic protein. I use theirs for workouts and have good results.
    Last edited by Sean Troy; 02-01-2016 at 11:17 AM.

I use Optimum Nutrition's Whey Protein. If you look for an exercise or weight lifter protein you should be fine. Generally those folks like low sugar high impact protein.

+1 to Sean and Daniel's remarks.

Pretty much all your "protein powders" are whey-based and you should be able to get them anywhere or delivered online. One of my colleagues at the gym just uses the Costco stuff. Big one-gallon containers of it. There are probably a million recipes online for smoothies or shakes that make it more palatable. Good luck to you.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

It sounds like you have some good sources for protein powder but I'd highly suggest that you make up your own shakes, smoothies, or whatever. In that way, you'll control what you're ingesting. A good blender might also be a good start. I recall a thread on those in here some time back. Try some searching.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

++ on all of the posts so far. Whey (animal/dairy) based powders are probably the easiest to find and the most cost effective, but there are also soy (vegetable) based powders out there on the market. If you have access to Costco, then that might be your best bet for a regular supply of a decent product at a reasonable price.

Aside from whey vs. soy based, your other options are usually limited to chocolate vs. vanilla. Based on my own experiences and preferences, I would recommend the chocolate though you may want to experiment a bit to see what suits your own tastes.

To mix up a shake, just follow the general directions that come with the product of your choosing. I use sparing amounts of water to make the mix and blend in frozen chunks of banana, berries, mangos, or any other fruit that you might care to add. Adding the fruits will help with the flavor and vitamin content, but with the potential added downside of adding sugar, albeit in a natural form. The reason for using frozen fruits and bananas in particular, is to thicken the liquid concoction so it actually becomes a protein "shake" and not just a runny liquid. You can even add ground wheat germ, flax seed, psyllium seed, or other sources of beneficial fiber.

When I've been more careful about my diet (not so much the last 2-3 years), I would to consume one 16-24 oz. protein shake with fruit (usually banana and some kind of berry) and ground golden flax seed after daily workouts, as both a recovery aid and a treat to satisfy my naturally over-active sweet tooth

I use this and it is great. I make a shake everyday for lunch using this, milk, spinach and frozen fruit.

Red

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00
    RED

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I have been fighting low weight for 45 years due to stomach disease. I cannot tolerate the taste of whey protein any more and most supplements use that. Since I need two supplement drinks per day, every day, I use egg white protein (Jay Rabb).

Make sure what you buy is providing the correct protein amino acid that your body is lacking. Just shoving whey down your gullet may not work. Visit a sports nutritionist as they'll have the education to help you out. You may need blood work to figure it all out.
    -Lud

This site does a ranking of protein powders. http://labdoor.com/rankings/protein

I've used Myprotein Impact Whey Isolate and Optimum Gold Standard Whey.

I just picked up some of the sugar-free Isopure. Thanks for the list.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.