Thread: Finish unexposed edge of MDF-core veneer plywood

Finish unexposed edge of MDF-core veneer plywood

Getting toward the finish of a project that uses some MDF-core veneer plywood. There are side panels and back panels with the bottom edges only seen by the dust motes on the floor, or the mice.

What is best for sealing these? I'll be topcoating all with satin Arm-R-Seal, wiped on. Is just the Arm-R-Seal OK?

I thought I might first size the edges with a thin coat of Titebond, carefully brushed so as not to get any on the exposed adjacent faces.

If you think the floor might at some time get wet, sealing is prudent and glue would be good . Titebond 2 or 3. You could also get some cotton duck (or any cotton cloth) ,cut it into strips a little wider than the MDF edge. Then put the glue on that and the mdf, press together,let dry, trim with utility knife. Cloth permeated with glue and or paint makes a good barrier with a long history.

I think titebond 3 would be a good choice,or laminate it with plastic laminate.If water gets underneath,it will definitely swell without some kind of protection.