Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Serious Lathe Owners Here?

Any Serious Lathe Owners Here?

I'm in the market for a new lathe and I want it to be my last, I've been looking at the Robust American Beauty as well, but the Serious has a few features I like better, in a nutshell, it's bigger, and I plan on turning big gnarly stuff. Its near the same price as the American Beauty too. But I can find very little info, or comments from people who own it. I would love to hear some feedback, anybody.......?

I have seen them, and they are pretty heavy duty, all cast iron, and I think, the heaviest wood lathe available. Not sure if the throw is any bigger than the Robust. That is about all I really know. From what I have seen, they are very well made.

robo hippy

3. They are big heavy and well designed. The Serious SL2542 comes in at 1500+ lbs, and has rollers in the base for mobility, but locks solid to the ground when lowered. I would encourage you to call Scott Trumbo ......he is a stand up guy, and will give you factual information on the Serious lathe. I know him personally, he has been to my house and shop, and I know he will treat you right. He has always given me superb customer service. Scott is one of the partners in the company, and an accomplished woodturner in his own right. He is also the marketing/managing director, so he can give you the full scoop on the lathe.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 02-02-2016 at 7:16 AM. Reason: typo
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I am NOT what you folks would call a "serious woodturner", but I'm trying and I'm learning. I'm learning by reading posts, joining a woodturning club (SDWT), and talking with serious wood turners.

Last week I was at a Scottsdale art show called the Celebration of Fine Art. There were three wood turners there (out of 100 artists). One, David Barkby turns HUGE wall hangings. Like 6 feet in diameter. His largest turning was 10 feet in diameter Wow. He uses a One Way lathe (I think 24 x 36).

Another turner, Brian Sykes, to whom I spoke, turns more conventional-sized pieces. He uses a One Way 2436 as well.

I don't own a Serious lathe but have admired them and agree they could be an excellent choice. Roger gave you some good info to follow up on. Another option for big turning is a vintage Patternmaker lathe. They tend to be even heavier than the Serious lathe but do not usually come with some of the more modern conveniences like infinite variable speed (though it can be added via a VFD).

Doug

Roger do you own a serious lathe? or did Scott give you good customer service in some other area. Of course it stand to reason that he would give me positive feedback, since he is selling them. One of the deal breakers for me would be the freight, it might be excessive.

Check on the VB36.
    C&C WELCOME

8. Quote Originally Posted by Barry Richardson View Post
    Roger do you own a serious lathe? or did Scott give you good customer service in some other area. Of course it stand to reason that he would give me positive feedback, since he is selling them. One of the deal breakers for me would be the freight, it might be excessive.
    Barry, no I do not own a Serious lathe. [cost factor and I am currently in a temporary situation where I hope to build a new shop at a future location where room and circumstances allow me to have a premium large lathe.] I have however paid a lot of attention to the different makes, and know that every person that I have read speak to their owner experience has been VERY positive. I have watched the videos of them, and know that there are also Nascar parts suppliers who use this lathe to manufacture some parts for the Nascar teams.

I know Scott personally. I understand his interest in selling his product, but also know that he is a person of integrity, and that his interests lie in the long term satisfaction of his customers........that is how he wants to grow his business. I have some of his tools, and he has done some demos for one of the clubs I belong to, and he has visited with me here at my home on a couple of occasions, and we have had numerous conversations about the machines on the market and other turning related conversations.

His lathes are manufactured with premium components like motor and vfd, and it is all heavy duty rated. His tool line is good as well, and I have two of his cam-lock handles.....my favorite handle to put a gouge into without question.

I truly believe Scott will give you the honest assessment of his understanding about the SL2542, and while he has an interest in the sale, he also has a very concerned interest in his customer's satisfaction over the long haul. He won't mislead you, and he will try to arrange for you a session with an owner of one of his lathes if it can be arranged, so you can experience the performance first hand......ask him about this, and tell him that I referred you!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 02-02-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Barry, one was listed on the AAW website over a week ago and it might still be available as no one responded. Some other large lathes like a Nichols as well.

10. I sent Scott Trumbo an email about this thread.........he replied and asked me to pass this message on to Barry about the possibility of Barry being able to actually speak to other owners of the Serious lathe, and connect with a long time Serious owner there in his home state of Arizona.\

I hope everyone knows that I have been a member/contributor here at SMC for years, and I am not doing this to help Scott or anyone at Serious. I am doing it to help a fellow turner named Barry, our original poster in this thread. If the two decide to follow through on this invitation, then great for them, but Barry sounds like he is looking for reliable information, and what better way to get it than to be invited to turn on one and get the straight up information from a long time owner?

Here is Scott's message to me.......Barry, I hope it helps you... A coincidence that the owner is also named Roger!

Years ago, our sale of serial number 00001 of the SL2542 went to a turner living in northern Arizona. This man is skilled, generous, and passionate about woodturning and Serious Toolworks, Inc. He specializes in complex segmented turnings and has completed many. He would enjoy hosting Barry for an extensive test drive. This gentleman has a long background in electronics and can discuss the SL2542 from the inside out (VFD, controls, digital indexing, etc.). If Barry has an interest in exploring this machine for one more step, please suggest he call me at: 1-800-211-1484, or 971-409-2573. I would be happy to answer questions and to set Barry up to contact Roger H. in his home state (as well as connect him with other long term skilled SL2542 owners if desired).

Thank You,

Scott Trumbo
    Sales and Marketing Manager
    Serious Toolworks, Inc.
    & Proud Friend Of Roger Chandler

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Barry, I don't own a lathe of the capacity of the Serious nor do I turn very large pieces but I do have a very keen interest in wood turning safety and hazard management.

The SL2542 is impressive and has a lot going for it with its weight and particularly the weight distribution with the low motor mount and the relatively large & wide foot print of the head stock end.

I am however confused about the placement and the fixed position of the controls and emergency stop button. This I believe is a serious (no pun intended) flaw in its design. A turner, turning either in board or out board must cross the "red zone" to access the E-stop!! Not very smart design imo. Why manufactures do this to save $$ amazes me. One successful consumer product defect / injury liability claim would wipe out any savings and close up shop for most of these small manufacturers.

My Vicmarc VL150 has the same design flaw however the risk and nature of potential injury is much lower than for a turner turning a moderately large platter, bowl or HF on a SL2542.

If I were to stump up near $8k US or more for a large capacity lathe I would be wanting flexibility and the option to place the lathe controls where I want them and to not have to cross the "red zone" to access them. I'm sure Serious would accommodate a request for an option to have relocatable / repositionable controls at cost so that you can enjoy the lathe with a sense of security to "allow you to handle the large and dramatic pieces with style and ease."
    Last edited by Geoff Whaling; 02-02-2016 at 4:09 PM.

12. Geoff, numerous turners have made a pendant control box for their lathes......3520b's, Jets, etc. I would guess that the same could be done for the Serious SL2542......I wonder if that is an option that might be available for that lathe? If not, at least an emergency stop could be made by most turners with a magnet on the back to be placed near the tailstock.

The stop button is a normally closed switch (contact is broken when the switch is pressed). This is done as a safety feature, if the wire to the stop switch breaks, the motor stops. You can wire as many stop buttons as you like in series, and then you press/kick any of them. On an expensive lathe, you should be able to ask for multiples to be installed.

Happy Turning,
    Michael

Check out the Oneway 24 36 from Canada. Our seriously low dollar gives a hudge advantage to US customers.

I know you didn't ask for suggestions, but this is a forum and that means the topic gets off subject...

I would try a Oneway, or better yet, an American Beauty, or both. Meaning, make a project or two on each lathe. Make projects that require changing speeds with the belts, moving the tailstock back and forth, make speed adjustments with the dial from various locations, work with a tool coming in next to the headstock. Then do the same things on a Serious. That's the only way you'll know what you are getting and what you are missing.