Thread: Baseboard height transition question?

Baseboard height transition question?

Hi there, I have a dilemma at the top of the stairs.
    IMG_0309.JPG
    Is there a clean way to transition down 3/4". I was going to finish the end as a return. I read a thread from a few years ago that had a pretty good idea. Here is the original picture. Kind of similar to my issue but I have no idea if it would work for my profile and how to do it based on the picture.
    flush config.jpg
    I do realize that I could rip 3/4" off the bottom but I would have to do that for an entire 400 square foot room. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks, Chris

Oh...and credit Tom Ewell for the excellent transition idea. I'm going to try it now and post a picture if I can figure it out...

How about just using a block that is a bit taller and slightly thicker than your taller piece? Each piece simply dies in to it.

Crude sketch

Crude sketch

Try again to include drawingimage.jpgimage.jpg

Wow Thomas, that's a great idea. I could even do some sort of a decorative piece. I also tried this which actually looks pretty good. I could do both sides of the stairs and call it a design "feature":

IMG_0310.jpg

Thanks much for the idea!

Is that a plinth block? Trying to find something decorative...

You could use a corner block to compensate for the different heights of the base board.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rich View Post
    Wow Thomas, that's a great idea. I could even do some sort of a decorative piece. I also tried this which actually looks pretty good. I could do both sides of the stairs and call it a design "feature":

IMG_0310.jpg

Thanks much for the idea!
    Our house was dolne with the same material used for the plinth blocks around the doors, looks really nice (although your test piece looks nice as well).

I like the plinth idea more than the "overwrought", though probably more architectural correct, dropped miter that you show.
    The plinth should wrap the corner of the wall BUT the down side to introducing another trim element is that - to my mind- you now need to use the plinth detail throughout that floor (at least - if not the entire house). That means that under door casings too. I write - in my mind - because I really hate orphan details and try to avoid them at all costs whether in trimming houses or building furniture.

A plinth can be nothing more than a thicker (1/4") and slightly taller (1/2") piece of the same molding or something with a different but compatible profile. I would not use a "post" or something that looks post like.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 02-02-2016 at 10:39 AM.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Thanks all for the advice. I'm going to do some testing to see what works for me...